Sexist midcentury ads re-created, flipping gender roles

That grin says, “Yes, I can blow myself…”

6 Likes

It’s the tie isn’t it?

4 Likes

Are you ‘Jack’s Complete Lack of Surprise?’

That’s part of the point. You’re overthinking this.

8 Likes

Isn’t it “Ha, these are still bullshit ideas!” Then again, that’s our, hopefully more nuanced, view from here in 2018, which is undoubtedly very different from the view from the 50s, where misogyny ruled Madison Avenue.

6 Likes

Oh, I’d say misogyny still has quite a strong grip on our society, only now it’s not longer vise-like.

9 Likes

Well, I’m not going to argue there. It is arguably better now but fixed? Hell no.

9 Likes

Not by a long shot; we still have such a long way to go.

7 Likes

In the key of Tom Lehrer…

8 Likes

Seriously though, that was fabulous; thanks for posting it.

6 Likes

This is a good explanation. The “haha burly guys in aprons” joke swap of traditional gender roles isn’t the point here.

6 Likes

Danke.
:slight_smile:

And now, an ode to the best unexpected, gender-flipping character arc of 2017; Steve Harrington, once a 2-dimensional cliche of the high school popular jock, now a full-fledged ‘soccer mom,’ replete with dish towel over his shoulder:

7 Likes

It went from patronizing, to comforting: I am happy that I didn’t burn the beer.

7 Likes

These are so so awesome. A lot of the gender inverted stuff is kinda boring and predictable but these are such a hoot! Maybe because it’s the classic pure dipped in mahogany and brass 1950s sexism.

3 Likes

Helvetica’s perfectly respectable. Arial, on the other hand…

1 Like

It looks like one of those fancy art books by German publisher Taschen.

2 Likes

Yes, this. The women in the original ads are representations of the ideal at the time. Stilettos in the kitchen, corseted-looking waists, perfectly coiffed hair and dramatic make-up. I get Mister44’s point, but I think by using the very pretty, done up men in the parodies, it highlights the sexism better than using a buff man-bear. I think a buff man-bear in many of the parodies would make things too absurd, too funny. It would lead to more amusement but less introspection.

That said, I would love to see a man-bear in stilettos in the kitchen one. I would laugh.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.