SF Muni spends anti-terror money on fare evaders because it's a gateway to terrorism

My state has some of that going on too. It’s illegal to sell alcohol between 2AM and 6AM in Washington, (no such time restriction on pot sales though). I work the late shift and am back in town by about 2:30AM. I’d like to have a beer with my dinner sometimes, but apparently 25 isn’t adult enough to buy or be served beer if it’s the wrong time of day.

It moved to http://boingboing.net/2015/02/10/sf-muni-spends-anti-terror-mon.html

The wordpress URL schema we chose bakes the publication date into the URL, so changing it (for whatever reason) means the URL changes. We’re looking into prettier undated urls, but have to make sure 120k old ones don’t break as a result.

@daneel when you change it to .htm, that means wordpress ends up going hunting for the URL text and returning the top result (which is correct in this case). But requests for nonexistent .html files means apache 404s it.

1 Like

Yes!!! I spent 1989 -1991 sitting on stoops in the Lower East Side and the Village and the East Village. The best one (I’ll defend this to the day I die) was on 2nd avenue, in between 13 and 14 (more accurately between the 'Gale and Dan Lynch).

It was on that stoop that I saw a bum take a dump while standing up against the brilliant white wall of the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary. We didn’t know what was going on as he wiggled and adjusted, but after he left we saw the evidence of his act.

“…justified spending anti-terror funding on fare evaders because…”

Because, you know, there’s just no actual terrorism to deal with. It’s probably smarter use of the money than the FBI made of their’s, with their cooked-up terrorism cases. At least no innocent people have been hurt yet.

1 Like

Just wait until fare evaders start clogging terrorism watchlists.

Agreed that, fortunately, the US has had little terrorism, but the acts that have actually been carried out are horrible. The question is: “How do you try to prevent a low probability, high impact event?”

I think the best way is to leverage tools that we already have acknowledged as ok, as opposed to those actions (um, hello, NSA) that move beyond our already established constitutional practices. I think stopping people who have actually broken the law to be a good balanced step.

And also on the FBI thing, yeah, some bad actors who might have done bad, but a lot of fools who never would have passed the fantasy stage without encouragement.

The answer is, you pretty much cannot.

So tempted to make a “the terrorists win” comment. But I would never sink so low. 8)

Looking at their return on investment, they won.

1 Like

Thus the term “asymmetric warfare.”

1 Like

There’s been a lot of terrorist acts carried out in the US over the last couple hundred years, but very few have been labeled “terrorist” because the perpetrators weren’t others.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.