SF residents dump "anti-homeless" boulders, prankster puts them on Craigslist

In Boston these would become the best space savers.

5 Likes

An enterprising individual could get a fake, fibreglass “boulder” to use as a space saver; that would be easier to move back on to the sidewalk when you come home to park.

6 Likes

To add insult to injury, attach to each rock a little note that reads “I think you dropped this.” or something to that effect. If you want to get really mean, put them in the person’s driveway (if they have one) or blocking in the wheels of their car (if they’re parking on the street or in a publicly accessible location.)

I thought of suggesting resting it against the person’s door, but that has the possibility of causing damage.

6 Likes

According to the same news site, they were pushed back into the street again plus some chalk messages were scrawled on the ground in protest as well.

Kudos, you good folk.

10 Likes

Pushing the boulders into the street is the logical approach, and the logical next step.

What works for Lime scooters works for boulders!

3 Likes

Yes, they’d much rather create even more, smaller problems, instead of helping fix one big one, it seems.

What assholes.

17 Likes

And collect valuable prizes!

8 Likes

San Francisco looks like it’s transitioning from a liberal city to a neo-liberal city.

6 Likes

That ship has sailed.

24 Likes

I guess there will be a market for mobility scooters and baby carriages with front-end dozer blades.

5 Likes

The way those boulders are arranged, I don’t see how they “stop” the homeless. Actually, wouldn’t they help them, by guarding them against potentially incoming automobiles, if not additional shielding from wind and the public eye? Is this whole thing just something reframed as an “anti-homeless” thing, to drum up predictable liberal outrage?

7 Likes

I guess if the city is putting them back then it’s time to add some fast acting industrial adhesive to the equation.

2 Likes

at least the scooters are something the public can use (and move easily if they are in the way), unlike big boulders. i guess i don’t understand how the boulders were supposed inhibit the homeless in the first place, either. it’s just a dumb solution all the way around.

9 Likes

I’m somewhat sympathetic to people not wanting homeless camps literally in their front yards (the liability issues alone…), but Jesus, blocking sidewalks with giant boulders…

I wonder if they were a bit more expensive. Or if the owners just thought it might encourage people to hang out there… They’d have their own liability issues, but surely not as bad as giant boulders.

Great, now they city is spending resources dealing with this issue, rather than spending it to help the homeless… ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Unfortunately the city is probably happier to spend the resources putting them back than demanding their removal.

They keep people from pitching tents on sidewalks, which is what happens when there’s a sufficiently wide, clear stretch of walkway.

10 Likes

I guess vandalism is one of the many things you can get away with when you’re rich and full of spite.

13 Likes

A few days ago in Düsseldorf/Germany, homeless people and local residents carried rocks back to city hall:

13 Likes

We need to start making other metrics of success more public. SF is great, but its GINI coefficient is abysmal, at around 51. It compares to the 10th worst country for inequality. Leadership there needs to shape up and think about something besides the corporate bottom line.

8 Likes

A literal Sisyphean task.

It does not end well.

7 Likes

Maybe they could roll them into the street and make a seriously metal bike lane divider?

3 Likes

Hey assholes. How the fuck is my sister supposed to get her van’s wheel chair lift down now? :rage:

25 Likes