SFO vs OAK in dumbest fight ever

3 Likes

good news, everyone. we’ve solved the airport naming problem. because of the earthquake, they’re now both called the atlantis airport.

6 Likes

I misread the title of this article as “SFO to OAK is the dumbest flight ever”…

5 Likes

East and west, but yeah that works! (Cartography fail on my part for not noting north with my scribbles.)

Or people could just check the airport they are going to?

But seriously going to OAK vs SFO is really not the end of the world if you choose the wrong one. If you’re on the wrong side of the bay (traffic not withstanding) it’s not all that hard to get to the other side. Ending up in SJC unintentionally is another story entirely, though.

4 Likes
4 Likes

@gatto - I nearly owed you a Coke. I was going to say ‘just build a long runway across the bay and call it one airport’.
@ficuswhisperer some enterprising soul needs to start a cross-bay, airport-to-airport ferry service, perhaps. (Yeah, I then saw a ferry marked on the map, but does it go directly airport-to-airport?) :wink:

3 Likes

You’d think! I’m guessing there’s probably not quite enough demand for this travel, and there are already plenty of easy and relatively economical ways to move between the two airports. BART will get you there in 60-90 minutes, or a hired car can get you there in about 30 minutes if the bridge traffic cooperates.

When I lived in the Bay Area, I’d always try to fly in/out of OAK myself. I lived in the East Bay to it so it was convenient, it had flights to almost anywhere, and was less of a shit show compared to SFO since it was smaller.

I do miss having 3 large airports within 50 miles. I live in Seattle now, and there’s really only one option (SeaTac). It has nonstop flights to pretty much anywhere, but it’s hopelessly undersized with no room to grow. (I did fly out of the Everett airport a couple years ago to go to Los Angeles which was lovely, but it’s tiny and has very limited flights.)

2 Likes

Your map raises an important point for this discussion: SFO is located in San Mateo County, and is not actually within the contiguous city limits of San Francisco. (It is owned and operated by the city, and even given a mailing address with a SF ZIP code, but it isn’t really within the city)

1 Like

They’re both serviced by BART but it can take up to 90 minutes or so to get from one to the other.

If you think that’s a stretch for “San Francisco” the city also owns and operates the Hetch Hetchy reservoir up in Yosemite and hundreds of miles of distribution infrastructure. For a city that is less that 50 square miles in area S.F. has a very long reach.

1 Like

No, ancient Altlanta was more than just a delta hub, it was a vibrant metropolis, the equal of Paris or New York.

5 Likes

Also that camp that their parks department operates up that way.

1 Like

The opposite happened with Detroit: a suburb called East Detroit changed their name to Eastpointe in 1992 to try to align themselves with the rich, white Gross Pointe suburbs that they don’t share a border with, rather than the actual city of Detroit which they do border. At least the Oakland airport is attempting to broaden their regional appeal by appending the name of the city across the bay, Eastpointe was so dumb and racist that they thought it would be better to constrict their regional appeal with a confusing name change.

1 Like

I mean…
atlanta georgia GIF

Happy Big Boy GIF by Outkast

Hip Hop Rap GIF

Atlanta Falcons Princess GIF by Designer Don G.

4 Likes

This isn’t really new though. A lot of airports aren’t actually in the city they are named after for various practical (you need a lot of land) and NIMBY reasons.

2 Likes

Looking at the positions of those two airports, I gotta wonder: why isn’t there a ferry service linking the two airports?

This shows Kobe Airport and Kansai Airport in Osaka Bay, and they are linked by ferry.

1 Like

A lot of airports aren’t actually in anywhere near the city they are allegedly named after if RyanAir goes there.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.