SFO vs OAK in dumbest fight ever

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/09/sfo-vs-oak-in-dumbest-fight-ever.html

4 Likes

Just rename Oakland to Sanansisco. It worked for Newark.

10 Likes

Call it Midlovewark Airport.

2 Likes

I gotta say, this headline isn’t exaggerating. That’s really fucking dumb. Maybe Oakland is lashing out because they’ve lost their pro sports teams?

7 Likes

new york some how convinced the entire state of new jersey to say “newerk”. experts are still trying to figure out how. and why

2 Likes

This is dumb and it isn’t doing the City of Oakland any favors.

For generations Oakland has been unfairly viewed by outsiders as a city that has little identity of its own beyond “San Francisco’s poor sibling across the Bay.” This has never really been true, and Gertrude Stein’s famous “there’s no there there” description has largely been taken out of context over the last 90 years or so, but it’s still an image problem that Oakland fights to this day. So why make the problem worse by identifying the airport as if it’s nothing more than an extension of San Francisco?

4 Likes

Call it “closer than the San Francisco airport”

2 Likes

Fuck off! We’re the People’s Front of Judea!

3 Likes

Hell, some people here say it with one syllable. Like ‘noork’.

4 Likes

I thought we were the Judean People’s Front.

3 Likes

Like what happened to Burbank Airport. Now it’s Burbank-Hollywood. In the words of Phililp Marlowe in Robert Altman’s The Long Goodbye, “OK with me.”

1 Like

Given it’s an airport, they could call it LOB (Land Oak Bay)

1 Like

When Jerry Brown was mayor, he described Oakland as “closer to San Francisco than most of San Francisco.”

2 Likes

Technically true as the crow flies for certain parts of the city, including Fisherman’s Wharf. And driving there can be faster from many places too.

Similarly, I thought it was kinda dumb when Ontario airport in SoCal was operated under a group called "Los Angeles World Airports " that tried to sell the airport as being part of LA (which is 38 miles away) but to be fair the very name of “Ontario” is a little confusing for an International airport. They have flights from Ontario, California to Ontario, Canada which can really mix some people up.

1 Like

Well, we needed some way to keep people from confusing it with Newark, Delaware! That’s New-ark, and thank goodness it doesn’t have an airport. :wink:

5 Likes

I mean yeah, but so is SFO…

4 Likes

“If you’re only memorializing white men, then the message that you’re sending is that it’s only white men who have done things that are important for us as a society,” says Tiffany Miller, an advocate who has lobbied for BIPOC women’s names to be affixed to airports. “That’s just wrong.”

Back in October 2018, Miller started a petition to name Oakland, California’s airport after pioneering aviator Maggie Gee, a Chinese-American woman who served as a Women’s Air Force Service Pilot (WASP) in World War II.

There Are Still No U.S. Airports Named After Women of Color | Condé Nast Traveler

3 Likes
2 Likes

… or how about “Huichin International Airport”

Ohlone Land | Centers for Educational Justice & Community Engagement

East Bay Huichin Tour – East Bay Hill People

1 Like

so you’re saying “san francisco bay international airport north” and “san francisco bay international airport south” would be the best names? :wink:

it would kind of make more sense if they just built a high speed tram between the two. then could they could just call them terminal a and terminal b… and fight over who gets to be “a”

3 Likes