Shake your head to see this image

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/01/shake-your-head-to-see-this-im.html

2 Likes

It also works for me if I just sort of intentionally let my eyes lose focus, like those liney illusion things.

6 Likes

17 Likes

21 Likes

Ow, my head.

4 Likes

Just moving your eyes works too.

2 Likes

Very cool effect - was reading up on stochastic resonance in an old issue of Scientific American the other day, seems like something along those lines could be involved here.

1 Like

I can just see it. Shaking my head makes it very slightly clearer, but not all that much.

7 Likes

A CATscan if you will… (amirite?)

18 Likes

ThankfulRingedCentipede-size_restricted

10 Likes

Try saving the jpeg and looking at the image zoomed out. It becomes much clearer around large thumbnail size.

3 Likes

I can see it fine with my astigmatism (doesn’t work with my glasses on)

6 Likes

[ Ctrl ] + [ - ] to zoom out - there’s a kitty

1 Like

That works too, but then you have to reset scale and I wanted the picture anyway.

1 Like

I got down to 50% scale in 5 clicks, then 5 clicks more to get back to 100%. All on the same screen, and done. I didn’t want to keep a copy of the image, though.

How many clicks did it take to copy, open Paint, paste, save, name and file, then open, zoom, and so forth? Two apps, taskbar, dialog box.

But now, of course, I’ve written this whole comment, searched for a good image of the Tootsie Pop owl, etc. Damn you Internet. I blame.

5 Likes

Seems like a lot of work to get people to shake their heads. I can do that just by talking for a while.

14 Likes

When I want to zoom, I just Ctrl + scroll wheel, which is actually the perfect metaphor for the Tootsie Pop owl. No patience for individual clicks. :wink:

Oh, you can also reset scale bacl to 100% just by pressing Ctrl + 0

2 Likes

Oh, hey. It’s Business Cat.

9 Likes

Me, too. But my glasses also act as reading glasses, so I’m not sure which of my eye problems did the trick.

1 Like

And try to count the tiny clicks of the scroll wheel? Or risk leaving myself at 90% or 110%? Ook! Oh yeah, Ctrl+0.

1 Like