Shape land like Slartibartfast with an augmented reality sandbox

Our 7th grade students built one of these for our school with help from two of their teachers. I’m working on a mini documentary showcasing their work.

If the user like a god, the maker of the sandbox is like a … ?

1 Like

…Mother Nature?

Oh, funny story: when we got our sand table (like the one pictured), a coworker of mine went on a frantic quest to find the right kind of substrate to fill it with. One type of sand was a no-go because it was considered carcinogenic in California (like everything is). Another had too much mica, which gave bad results when trying to film the demonstration. He finally went to the grocery store and got 1 bag of every granular substance they had in stock, to experiment with. I think they finally went with ground walnut shells.

I still have a bag of corncob hamster bedding in my office leftover from those days.

3 Likes

Deblasphemefied.

1 Like

I got to play with one of these at the Visitor Center of Lassen Volcanic National Park, in California. Picture 3 or 4 30-year-olds playing like kids in a 3’x2’ sandbox for half an hour. Kids were walking by and seemed uninterested. The fools.

It was fun, but the limitations were pretty glaring. The topographical information takes a couple seconds to update, and the water simulation isn’t great: it’s never really doing what you expect it to.

Still! I had envy, and wouldn’t mind having one of my own. All I need is a small sandbox, a Kinect, and Projector, and a PC. Should be easy! (famous last words)

My favorite bits are the fjords. They give the continents such a lovely baroque feel.

8 Likes

I also worked on Africa for Earth v.2, but they didn’t appreciate my dedication to fjords.

7 Likes

This would be amazing if it could update slightly faster, only a matter of time i suppose. Speaking of games, i’d like to see some modified version of wetrix.

This is much appreciated.

11 Likes

The Audubon Zoo in New Orleans has one of these in the Swamp exhibit. It’s a lot of fun to play with (I didn’t manage to get much time in myself because the first graders I was chaperoning took it over.)

If anyone wants to find it- it’s in a separate little building right down the path after the main building with the white alligators.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.