Share of national wealth held by America's 1% hits 50-year high

"the share of national wealth owned by the richest one percent of Americans has risen by three points since 2013, to more than 90""

That’s not my reading of the article. The richest one percent’s gobble amounts to 40%, the top 20 percent holds 90 % of the wealth.

2 Likes

They only have ‘no fear’ because of all the current surplus bread and circuses; but when the bread eventually runs out, they will learn anew… and the lessons will be horrific.

6 Likes

Yup.

6 Likes

No argument here. I do think their hoovering of the surplus will prove fatal, to at least the current socio/political outlook.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Aye we’ll be taking both them motherfuckers.

For real though, credible estimates have per household energy reduction ~100% over the next 40 years in the US to credibly face AGW, which means either they get yachts or we get food.

ETA: If they insist on the yachts, you can bet we’ll insist on the guillotine

6 Likes

The top parts of the economy are responsible for most of the CO2 emissions, too. 4d8525a5-be37-4d04-a275-ccdbd30c98b7-620x431

5 Likes

Revolutions. All fun and games, until the purges start.

@wysinwyg While I am against actually killing the 1%, they are not against actually killing the lower economic folk. The policies in place over the last 35 years (plus a lot, actually, but worsening these last 35 or so) have caused enormous deaths just in the USA - pollution, lack of heatlhcare, wars, poor nutrition, imprisonment…

7 Likes

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."

[Remarks on the first anniversary of the Alliance for Progress, 13 March 1962]”

― John F. Kennedy

10 Likes

You know the thirteen colonies were corporate charters to the British crown, and the Boston tea party was about tax breaks given only to the East India company, right?

The powerful have never voluntarily given anything, every single step has been won by force.

5 Likes

No even them not. If you execute them, all you do is make a case for execution, not justice. At the same time, you make their punishment short.

“Hey, it worked great, up to a point.”

-M. Robespierre

2 Likes

Try feeding the country on 0% of current energy consumption.

okay so the real number is 99.998% but yes that’s what we’ll have to try and do…

You realize what you said is not “fossil fuel reduction” but “energy reduction”? You’re saying that all the wind, solar and hydropower has to go too.

Has Trump tweeted, taking credit for this yet?

2 Likes

Go back and read my later comments, where I say I’m not in favor of the death penalty.

I was making a point that it’s not a black and white matter.

6 Likes

Yes, energy reduction. Or income reduction, or extreme inflation.

Or I suppose we could decide that the ~40% of the worlds population that lives on a buck or two or less a day stays that that way (and more people get added to the pile of poverty, as well)

3 Likes

Well, see, if they just worked hard and put half of their earnings away, they’d soon bootstrap their way out of poverty! /s

8 Likes