Share your unpopular music opinions

#JINX POKE BUY ME A COKE 

4 Likes

The vast majority of music is only relevant to teenagers. The reason we all still like it is that it reminds us of being teenaged.

That said, I enjoy some indefensible music. I know its not good, I know the artists are horrible people, I know the message is crap. Buy I still enjoy breaking out the Insane Clown Posse CDs every so often.

2 Likes

My knowledge of Finnish music:

1. Edward Vesala. (I dig.)
  2. Ted Curson was hugely popular over there.
  3. They like tango there.

Thinking to visit someday.

2 Likes

You’re right, and I do love some Limp Bizkit on occasion (though I had to google the spelling, I swear!)

Same here. Took me a while, though.

It’s not a real place!

9 Likes

Music in general, or music that we liked as teenagers? I don’t listen very often to what I liked as a teenager. E.g. I did not know much about jazz then; I had barely heard anything that was not from the United States or Europe; I had grown tired of heavy metal so I had yet to come around to Sabbath or Motorhead etc.

You are out. Of. Control!! :smile:

1 Like

Yeah cue up my earlier comment about Led Zeppelin.
I still have a fondness for a lot of the music from my College days where we had a station that played just about anything at all and I got exposed to a lot of different things musically.

1 Like

Maybe there’s some teenage nostalgia with some music, but I really don’t have the fortitude to listen to Danzig like I did in my teenage years. Teenage me would probable be disappointed in how soft I’ve become, and how much I’ve sold out. Oh well.

2 Likes

Teenagers drive music because good art is always avante garde art and old people are boring and reactionary. I do not want to be reminded of being teenaged, but like many people my age, I probably stopped listening to anything new a while ago.

Well that and you start discovering all kinds of ‘new to you’ music that you missed out when you were younger. MrsTobinL is more up on new music…err new indie music than I am. We are both totally clueless about current pop music though.

3 Likes

I usually start whooping and laughing if I hear “Mr. Wendal” more than a few times per hour.

Steely Dan is an okay dildo, but Fats Terminal has organized a purple ass-stick for motorcyclists.

2 Likes

Agreed. As a young man, I listened to Hendrix, Cream, Ten Years After, Blodwyn Pig, early Led Zep, early Tull, Jeff Beck and John McLaughlin. I still listen to Jeff and John, but they have grown as I have.

Which is not to say that I don’t like the rest, but they are frozen in time, and I already know their output by heart. (I listened to Jack Bruce for years, but alas! he is now frozen in time as well. I do agree that Clapton is boring and trite - he was always at his best when playing with musicians who were at least as good as he was, such as Jack Bruce or Duane Allman…)

1 Like

I see what you did there.

1 Like

Bob Dylan had one good album in him, and he got it out of the way right up front.

2 Likes

I’ve picked up a few pop-ish songs by watching people stream on Twitch, but if I’m listening to music these days there is a very good chance it’s Raffi (or Unsupervised, I Hit My Head, by Mono Puff, which my daughter is obsessed with).

1 Like

Leonard Cohen makes me want to drink, to escape Leonard Cohen. Same as for Tom Waits.

2 Likes

They give a good example.

1 Like

The Cure’s first album was in '79, though according to everyone in the scene, punk’s death can be traced to just after they got into it.

1 Like