Shooting at Los Angeles airport: suspect and TSA agent wounded, flights grounded

They are, but it’s the same for the boarding area in an airport, or pretty much anywhere else in the US.

As said above, those are not better examples. But even if you wanted to go that route: That makes it 2 shootings per year, which compares very favorably against the rest of the US (quite unfortunately).

1 Like

I think AR15s get singled out because they are a modular weapons platform that can go from a decent hunting rifle configuration to a decent urban assault configuration without much trouble. Google AR15 pistol to see what gives them nightmares.

However, if your general argument is that firearms legislation written by gun-hating liberals ends up making crappy firearms legislation, I agree.

These stupid laws about clip sizes and tacticool accessories are worthless.

The best response would be assailants being incapacitated in a non-lethal manner by a small robot drone within milliseconds of drawing a firearm in a public place.

1 Like

The facepalmingest thing I heard on the news today was that the way to prevent this sort of thing in the future would be an “additional layer” of checkpoint security outside the airport. Because clearly mass murder would be more acceptable outdoors.

2 Likes

Internal Security = Naval Base Cops.

Ahem.

AR-15’s are NOT “assault rifles”, They have no selective fire (aka “burst” or “full auto” capability). Selective Fire is what differentiates a semi-automatic rifle (i.e. one shot per trigger pull) from a genuine assault rifle. . .

1 Like

Are they actually against guns in the hands of citizens? I’m thinking they are for gun control… but do they really not want people to have varmit rifles, or hunting shotguns?

I didn’t say assault rifle. AR15s have all kinds of stuff you can get for them that will turn them into an assault weapon… which is a stupid term denoting a guns scariness. Barrel length, folding stocks, pistol grips, large clips etc… all of that make an assault weapon, according to the law.

Are you talking about Switzerland? Because they have an armed citizenry, and it doesn’t seem to do much except make them quite hard to invade. Its not contributing to violence there, but maybe the fact that something like 1 in 4 people have an assault rifle (yeah, the automatic one) perhaps does prevent shootings…

Or maybe its just the fact that Switzerland doesn’t have the social problems that result in people shooting people all the time that is responsible for their low gun crime rate. I dunno.

It’s a big symbol of the american government and you can walk to within handgun range, so yeah the White House takes some bullets now and then. It’s happened a few times now, where someone just opens fire on the White House from the street. I don’t think the lady he’s referring to was armed, she tried to crash the barricade with her car iirc.

What do I need a citation for? Crazy knife-wielding maniacs wield knives. You know what they don’t wield? Guns. If the argument is that someone who is going to go on a rampage isn’t going to worry about anti-gun laws, then why do these murderers use knives instead of (illegally) obtaining firearms? Do you think they don’t know that guns are more effective at killing than knives?

You mean like Aurora and Tucson?

OK, I have a lot of difficulty believing this. I will need to see some sort of evidence showing that there there’s a lower density of armed MPs or security guards at military installations than there are armed people in regular society. It’s pretty clear that there was a lot of armed security at the Navy Yard that responded quickly (and were the first to be shot).

And “this ALWAYS happens somewhere guns are restricted”? I can assure you that there are plenty of places where guns are restricted that this has never happened.

1 Like

Mental health issues strike again in the US with little chance of improving the treatment of mental illness in the US.

3 Likes

Assault WEAPON. Ah I see.

Bzzt! Wrong, thanks for playing

The ONLY accessory that one can add to an AR-platform rifle to make it an Assault WEAPON is an auto-sear in the trigger assembly. They are impossible to procure LEGALLY without a full Class III Federal Firearms License, a Approved Modification letter from the BATF, and a $200. Tax Stamp. And then, it requires some gun-smithing to install.

If you REALLY want full auto, I’m told it’s easy enough to get a black-market Chinese AK-47, if you have friends in the underworld. Thanks, but I’ll pass. . .

[citation needed]

I couldn’t actually say, but they hang out here, and we could ask them.

I think we have an argument of definition.

1 Like

Aurora, where that red-haired maniac COULD have hit one of seven closer movie theaters, but chose the one with a “No Weapons” policy proudly displayed ??

As for Tuscon, it was at a Safeway. And Safeway is known for a no-guns policy: I used to shop there when I was single, and even in the 90s, never saw one that didn’t have a “No Guns Allowed” placard in the window. . .

There you go:

Police response:

• Within two to three minutes Metropolitan Police officers were on the scene, said Police Chief Cathy Lanier.

• Internal security had already identified and engaged the suspect. We already had victims down at that point, Lanier said.

• A Metropolitan Police officer and a base security officer were hurt.

• Officers enter the building and communicate to commanders what they saw: multiple victims and gunfire, Lanier said.

• Within seven minutes we had active shooter teams, moving through the building, Lanier said.

• She described a sporadic gun battle – “mulitple engagements” - that witnesses said lasted 40 minutes or so.

• Police helicopters converge on the scene, prompting the Federal Aviation Administration to temporarily halt flights at Reagan National airport to clear the air space around the city.

• 10:05 a.m.: Navy confirms via Twitter several injuries with reports of fatalities.

It’s hilarious that you think that a lunatic like him cared about Safeway or their gun policy that nobody knows about. It was outside as well. Mods? Can we torpedo the militia, troll, basement creeps yet?

If you’ll read farther down, you will find that the term “Assault Weapon” originated in World War 2, referring to selective-fire infantry rifles.

The advocates of Gun Control started calling semi-automatic rifles cosmetically similar, but functionally quite different from actual selective-fire weapons in the late 1980s.

This is a Ruger 10/22:

This is ALSO a Ruger 10/22. The rifles are identical, and function identically. This just has a lot of “Mall Ninja” accessories added that are considered by some to be “tacti-cool”, but are purely cosmetic. . . .

OK, there’s ONE difference: the first is pictured with the standard 6-round rotary magazine, and the second has the extended mag. But they’re both .22 caliber “plinking” rifles, They all work the same, and you could switch mags from one to the other interchangeably.

1 Like