Shooting at Los Angeles airport: suspect and TSA agent wounded, flights grounded

I know, A bunch of us were laughing and WTF?ing over it. ESPECIALLY at that price. Oh well, we both know a fool and his money are quickly parted. Sort of an extreme Mall Ninja, even beyond that tarted-up 10/22 (and if you want amusing, look at the M-240 mod kit for a 10/22. . .same old rifle, just LOOKS like a squad weapon. . .)

Yeah it’s pretty crazy some of the mods people think up to slap on their ARs.

“Yo, dog. I heard you like guns, so we put a gun on your gun so you can shoot your gun while shooting your gun.”

A 9mm bullet is actually much larger than a 5.56mm round, but it also much slower.

I was referring to cartridge size as opposed to bullet diameter. A .223 remi cartridge has a lot more brass than a 9mm. IIRC overall cart length on a 9 averages about 1.25 inches, the .223 is nearly twice as long at 2.25 inches or so. If you stand a 9mm cart next to a .223 cart you can immediately tell which one is the rifle cartridge. :grin: Sorry to be unclear there.

I see. I was confused because you have “.9mm” in the original, which would make it incredibly tiny indeed. It seems most 9mm are 19mm long, while 5.56 NATO is 45mm.

Ooops, I did put an erroneous decimal there.

Right, but thats just the bullet itself. A cartridge is the “unfired bullet”, with the brass casing. It depends on the type of 9 (parabellum, luger, etc) but the overall length of 9mm cartridge ranges from 1.1 inch to 1.24 iirc, so I just said its about 1.25

That’s just simply not true, especially when it comes to the two rifles pictured. They’re .22s, and are obviously not intended for hunting people, because that caliber is only suitable for hunting small game. Also, fast follow-up shots are sometimes appropriate when hunting, if the first shot didn’t kill whatever you’re hunting. And fast follow-up shots also can be fun when target shooting.

Point taken, but while a .22LR lacks the “stopping power” that some people fetishize, it is still a lethal round. I’ve heard it said that the .22 has been responsible for more deaths than any other, yet no one who has said that has been able to cite source (I’m betting FBI ucr, but too lazy to check), or define the type of .22, so it’s probably just a myth or lumps in the .22LR with the .22(#) ammunitions.

I’ve heard that too - but I don’t know how true it is. I find it unlikely though they did/do have a lot of .22 pocket pistols around. I remember this guy in my dorm bragging he had a POS Jennings.

I wouldn’t want to shoot at someone to stop them from hurting me with a .22 - but for sure they can kill you. I hear they do funny things and bounce around in the body. Knick an artery and you won’t die right away, but it will kill you if you don’t get help ASAP.

Hmm… I can only conclude that ammunition designations are stupid. The 9x19mm parabellum has a bullet diameter of 9.01mm and a case length of 19.15mm, with an overal length of 29.69mm. Seems like an asinine naming system to me, but I guess overall length is afected by the type of bullet used, so it makes some sense.

They are, absolutely. For each common caliber there are a ton of offshoots and oddball variations, and then the powder load, bullet weight, and casing thickness is variable within most particular offshoots and oddballs. So you have calibers like the “civilian” .223 remington which are highly specified in design, with maximum chamber pressures etc, vs. the 5.56mm caliber which despite being a “military” caliber w/ the same bullet diameter as the .223 varies widely in characteristics (notably chamber pressure) and is not rigidly specified. That’s why I just use inch approximations.

Such as?

Yes, because Phoenix and Dallas have much worse gun violence than Chicago, New York, Los Angles or Washington DC.
Oh wait sorry, that’s the other way around. For your augment to make sense that would have to be true.

Go to any military base or ask anyone that is currently in to has severed in the military, and you will find out it’s a fact.
And interestingly I have had lots of people say “there are plenty of places” but as yet, nobody has named one.

Oops, I misread your final statement, Yes, there are plenty of Gun Free zones, where this has never happened. There are also lots of places in general this has never happened. But the point is that it seems the nut case* with the gun always goes to the place where he can do the most damage with the least amount of resistance.

• can’t use lunatic anymore, would be PC.

The metric measurements of bullets make decent sense most of the time. While the length can fluctuate between makes of bullets, the diameter at least usually stays consistent.

Caliber measurements are all over the place. You can have same diameter bullets that either will take a different number to differentiate themselves, or add a suffix.

Gauges use some archaic form of measurement where the gauge is equal to the number of lead balls the diameter of the barrel it would take to equal a pound.

The Tucson shooting in 2011. As I noted before, a man carrying a gun came up just after someone else had taken the gun from the shooter and initially assumed that the second person was the shooter: Joe Zamudio and the Gabrielle Giffords shooting: How an armed hero nearly shot the wrong man.

The Wisconsin Sikh temple shooting in 2012. “Guns were in fact legal at the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin, contrary to a false report from Fox News. Wisconsin state law allows firearms to be carried in houses of worship unless explicitly barred on the premises; Amardeep Kaleka, whose father founded the temple and was killed during the attack, confirmed to me that there was no such ban in place then.” The NRA Myth of Gun-Free Zones – Mother Jones

This lists many more mass shootings (defined as four or more people killed) where there was no indication that the shootings happened in gun-free zones: https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/images/analysis-of-recent-mass-shootings.pdf It also notes that many mass shootings (67%) happen in private residences.

Gun ownership vs gun deaths per 100,000 people:

Link: 10 Pro-Gun Myths, Shot Down – Mother Jones

Do you actually have any evidence that people are picking places because they are gun-free zones rather than picking places where they work or go to school or live?

4 Likes

Off the top of my head, in addition to what’s been mentioned, after one of the mall shootings, I recollect someone who had been at the scene with a gun rather ridiculously claimed credit for the shooter committing suicide, despite the fact that he hadn’t even shot at the gunman.
If we start talking about shootings at places with armed officers, then the airport shooting is an example as well. (Not to mention places like Columbine - funny how the shooters chose to go on a rampage at their own school despite knowing that an armed police officer was stationed there…)

“Yes, because Phoenix and Dallas have much worse gun violence than… New York… or Los Angeles.”
There, now that statement actually is true. Dallas has more than twice the murder rate of New York City, for example.

That chart is misleading and it looks like it includes things like suicides and accidents. Here is a list of state murder rates by firearms per capita that is much more relevant. I like how Mother Jones conveniently left out Washington DC.

Disagree. The US had a chance to pass some bare minimum common sense regulation including basic background checks and a national firearms database, and its was sunk by conservatives in the pockets of the gun lobby, for money and greed.

This isn’t a balanced debate where we need to carefully weigh both sides (that might come later), your firearms regulations in the US are fucking crazy, driven by a powerful industry lobby group with absolutely zero moral stakes, and need to be reigned in to the barest level of not completely fucking crazy pants.

1 Like