Shooting at San Bernardino Elementary School Planned as Murder-Suicide, Authorities Say

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/04/10/shooting-at-elementary-school.html

Jesus christ…

Murder - suicide? And children were shot? Fucking hell…

28 Likes

Fuck this everything all the time.
I can’t deal with more of this- children, man. CHILDREN.
We need better than this.

29 Likes

Definitely shocking, disappointing an anger inducing. Who shoots into a classroom of kids? What the fuck? Seriously, what the fuck? I wonder how the NRA will look into the eyes of parents and tell them how more guns, less regulations, and guns in classrooms will be a good thing.

19 Likes

“Domestic dispute”

I feel like once someone has been murdered its out of the realm of the pretty euphemism “domestic dispute” and now its just murder.

34 Likes

I suggest (certain) people check out some data: http://www.humanosphere.org/science/2016/06/visualizing-gun-deaths-comparing-u-s-rest-world/

To put in perspective, Phoenix AZ had the same firearm homicide rate/100K as Mexico. So much for retiring there!

As the article above mentions - the US needs to look outside itself to A) acknowledge the problem B) do something about it. Seems a good chunk of Americans, fueled by the likes of the NRA, are still stuck on A).

12 Likes

Isolated event.
Lone wolf.
Mental health.
Guns don’t kill people.

40 Likes

Stats on domestic violence:

• The presence of a gun in a domestic violence situation increases the risk of homicide by 500%
  • 72% of all murder-suicides involve an intimate partner; 94% of the victims of these murder suicides are female
  • Between 2003 and 2008, 142 women were murdered in their workplace by their abuser

Its beyond sad that as soon as they said “murder-suicide” I knew the genders of the perpetrator and the victim.

42 Likes

I can’t even.

http://imgur.com/Ep9AxK8

23 Likes

don’t forget good guy with a gun.

22 Likes

• $10.6M meted out in 2016 for bribes (sorry) lobbying. Politicians don’t care about death stats when money is pushed into their faces.

16 Likes

$10,600,000 / 15,077 = $703.06

Funny, cuz $700 seems high to me, I wouldn’t have expected them to value a human life that “high”.

10 Likes

[quote=“Missy_Pants, post:12, topic:98671”]
Funny, cuz $700 seems high to me, I wouldn’t have expected them to value a human life that “high”.

1035:1 ratio.

Given a choice, the gun lobby would prefer to get that ratio even higher just as long as it involved an increase in the numerator.

2 Likes

If they were able to do it after Sandy Hook, they’ll have no problem doing it in this case. Only a matter of time before someone shows up here to pretend that the wide availability of firearms in the U.S. played no part in this incident.

17 Likes

Clickbait

(It’s not like just about every other media outlet hasn’t already dropped everything to cover this “breaking news.”)

7 Likes

Sigh. And California has some of the strictest gun laws in the nation, including an assault weapon ban, magazines limits, waiting periods, and extremely difficult to get a CCW. Many of the “common sense laws”.

Maybe laws alone aren’t the problem. And maybe laws don’t actually keep us safe.

Also, given the possible effects of future climate change, I would suggest NOT moving to a desert with water scarcity, crime or no crime. YMMV.

5 Likes

If it was a domestic “dispute”, they should just call it what is plainly was, domestic murder.

9 Likes

I’m waiting for the first “If those kids had been carrying, their teacher would still be alive!” insane comment from one of the innumerable “guns don’t kill people” sites.

For fuck’s sake, what is wrong with this country?

15 Likes

someone on Facebook already brought that out as a comment.

There is a lot wrong.

10 Likes

If you’re still waiting there’s plenty of that in the Fox N00z comments. It’s pretty disgusting. People are dead and they’re rambling on about how California deserves this.

9 Likes