Short film: gentleman realizes his pickpocketing of stranded motorist was caught on camera

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/09/28/short-film-gentleman-realizes.html

4 Likes

Just note; From what I understand, this is a government sponsored, pro-surveillance-state propaganda commercial.

I’m pretty sure that in real life he would just flip off the camera and continue on his way.

(I may be wrong, source wasn’t in English.)

4 Likes

I hate thieves. But it takes a special kind of asshole who would prey on a guy obviously down on his luck and likely to have to pay $$ for a motorcycle repair.

1 Like

So the lesson is to check your surroundings so you don’t get caught?

2 Likes

I thought the point was that he didn’t want to experience the extreme punishments the state would hand down - pleading for his life and making a show of returning the wallet.

1 Like

This piece works really well with some of that soundcloud Moog Model 15 App music. The first one syncs pretty well.

From whom, though? Do we need to be validated in our redemption to actually be redeemed? Can dude just look at a camera (that might not show it’s operating status, or whether it’s working at all), un-do the thing he just did, and feel redemption?

1 Like

“Caught” implies that there is something wrong with what you are doing. What I don’t understand is why if somebody truly thinks they should be stealing, they would mind if other people know about it.

Theft is especially troublesome in that analysis suggests that either party is entitled to the thing, when neither of them are. The most effective way to eliminate theft is to eliminate property.

“Caught” implies that there is something wrong with what you are
doing. What I don’t understand is why if somebody truly thinks they
should be stealing, they would mind if other people know about it.

Theft is especially troublesome in that analysis suggests that either
party is entitled to the thing, when neither of them are. The most
effective way to eliminate theft is to eliminate property.

1 Like

LOL - good luck with that.

The most effective way would be to make sure everyone has the property they need to live, but even then some will do it for thrills or for greed.

You missed the point of my comment. I stole @popobawa4u’s comment, you see.

5 Likes

No, caught implies there is someone powerful enough to punish you for what you are doing in some way. Which is a very, very different thing from thinking you are doing something wrong.

1 Like

No, it is your post now, thus who I replied to.

1 Like

No no. I can’t possibly own it, there is no property. Don’t try to foist this on me. It’s not mine!

6 Likes

Likely. Never seen such a crisp surveillance recording.

1 Like

Ooh. Too bad “security theater” is already taken.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.