Should a Dungeon Master change a game campaign to be "cruelty free?"

Essentially, if the players and DM are fine with it, sure, why not. It’s fantasy after all, right?

On the other side, don’t most campaigns generally involve some kind of thievery, mayhem, murder, etc… that the players would abhor in real life?

1 Like

Found the follow-up Reddit thread, where the players managed to resolve their differences and continue on with a resolution to the situation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/1142cve/follow_up_vegan_player_demands_a_crueltyfree_world/

Key quote from the whole thing:

Behold, the power of “FUCKING TALK.”

10 Likes

What kind of DnD campaign are you running where this is a frequent concern? Dungeons and Abattoirs?

Being a misanthrope, I only have a handful of old friends I DM for. I don’t see this being an issue for us. But sure, let’s get all riled up about it lol

2 Likes

Why is this a “story making the rounds”? Seems like it’s entirely up to the DM, the player and the rest of their group, and of zero interest to anyone else.

2 Likes

This was my first thought: if you know something is going to be an issue for you, you bring it up in session zero, and the decision gets made at that point: yes, we’ll keep this out of the game and figure out a way to make it part of the universe; no, but we’ll agree that the topic is behind a veil and that we’ll not detail it; or no, we don’t want to set a particular limit because of specific gameplay reasons (and that should be the only reason that someone at the table isn’t accommodated), and the player, or players, or GM, can decide that this game isn’t for them.

2 Likes

I remember reading in the old rules about “fighting to subdue,” where you declare you’re subduing and the rules are the same but when the “monster” gets to zero hit points instead of dying it submits

Nobody plays it that way but there’s no reason they couldn’t if they wanted to :dragon:

4 Likes

Or gloss over food in non specific generic term like “rations”. When I was in high school we didn’t really think about those aspects of adventuring as our group of murders hobos terrorised the orcs and goblins of the Borderlands.

Basic etiquette regardless of what form of shared entertainment, would they be as tone deaf in selecting shared film or television viewing?

1 Like

Or - make a campaign that is about nothing but food!

6 Likes

“I’m a half-orc dual class patissière and baker.”

12 Likes

“You are a party of digestive enzymes. As you step out of your salivary gland you encounter an enormous protein. Roll for initiative …”

14 Likes

“The epic quest for ALL the five herbs and spices there are!!!”

7 Likes

Vague memory of someone doing a campaign where (at least temporarily) the PCs were oozes, jellies, gelatinous cubes and such.

3 Likes

IRL, not every critter has too eat something else:

If you only want to play murderhoboes, that’s perfectly fine, if someone else wants to do something else, that’s between them.

1 Like

“My barbarian amylase charges the protein’s starchy shell with it’s +1 hydroxy group.”

12 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 4 hours.

They left off Superman

:rofl: (verified by my lolmeter). Now you have me picturing the boulder scene from Raiders with a uvula!

Also, remembering this delightful board game:

https://www.nobleknight.com/P/674/Snits-Revenge-Long-Box

4 Likes

In at least some past editions there have been lots of rules for different types of nonviolent games. 3/3.5e had the Book of Exalted Deeds Vow of Nonviolence and Vow of Peace feats, for example.

6 Likes

Arguably, given that most aggressive creatures are capable of figuring out that once the energy debt gets too high, or the injuries too severe, they should bugger off and not try to eat the aggressive pointy thing any more, it makes more sense

4 Likes

I now want to run a game set in a world where eating flesh is forbidden because Undead broke into Heaven and ate all the gods.

4 Likes