Should this grandmother have let her granddaughter squirt herself with a hose?

That’s something that a lot of people don’t get about the big houses of the past. There were very often 3 generations living in them which was just as much a reason for the size as the wealth of the owners.

7 Likes

The pocket dimension does act up pretty often, come to think of it.

3 Likes

When I was growing up the bulb (apparently) burned out in our refrigerator and someone made the brilliant decision to remove it, without putting in a new one. One day, whilst attempting to get something from the top shelf while keeping my eyes affixed to the TV, I managed to get my finger at least somewhat in the socket. Fortunately, the electricity caused my arm muscles to contract thus quickly breaking contact. I only lost mobility in that hand for about half an hour, I think.

6 Likes

In my case it was using a dime to try and pry out a stuck plug from a socket.

1 Like

I don’t know. It would be a great ice-breaker in conversations for the rest of your life :slight_smile:

my younger brother shoved roman candles in the space heater when he was five.

My older brother put a huge pack of m90’s on the grill.

I ended up jumping off a moving horse (horse wouldn’t stop It was running right into where thorn branches were.

3 Likes

The downside to this is when the time comes to choose between the care-home with the glossy brochure or the one featured in the local news exposé…

4 Likes

Yes, but no.
You are supposed to test using a circuit tester / voltage detector. If you don’t have one of those handy, why are you fucking with the wiring at all?

9 Likes

Wait, is the answer to the headline possibly yes?

Did someone lose a bet?

5 Likes

Change your breakers.
Really.

2 Likes

I know I use all 25 amps in my room… I have a lot of computing power, on inefficient recycled machines. Well, not a lot of computing power. But it’s a collection of garbage that computes dammit!

I’ll ask my dad to look at the breakers, and see if they make sense. But I’m sure he’s figured out his reasons for leaving them the way they are for the last 15 years.

3 Likes

At first I was like :open_mouth: but then I worked out that’s on USA voltage so only, what 3 kilowatts or so I think?

3 Likes

Yeah. 120v * 25a = 3000W. Which really isn’t all that much if we’re talking a bunch of old PCs and an AC unit and a dehumidifier. Plus my lights and monitors and chargers and shit.

It gets hot in there. And loud. And not in the fun ways.

Also, I’m using a machine to type this with a 1000W PSU. I’ve never put a voltmeter on it, but the mobo is full and it’s liquid cooled, so I’m guessing it’s pulling at least a few hundred watts on its own.

4 Likes

With a hose, yes. With a gun, no.

1 Like

Yeah, that’lll do it. :smiley:

Run 3DMark at full beans and see if your lights go out. :laughing:
I once tripped a 30A household breaker at proper voltages but that really took some doing.

2 Likes

I routinely run h.265 video encodes that go for several days. The mobo temperature warning alarm sounds continuously, but I know from my thermal IR camera (PM me if you want a great thermal-range infrared camera that hooks into your phone for ~$250 instead of whatever FLIR charges, I’m not here to spam) that none of the important stuff gets too hot.

2 Likes

Homer: That baby-proofing crook wanted to sell us safety covers for the electrical outlets. But I’ll just draw bunny faces on them to scare Maggie away.
Marge: She’s not afraid of bunnies!
Homer: She will be!

Fun fact- when looking for this image I spied that it was hosted on an old boing boing topic with the correct quote attached. Thanks user SteampunkBanana for doing the work for me in January 2015.

Anyhoo in regards to this topic I think there’s a serious benefit to allowing a child to work out the error in their methods when it comes to non life threatening lessons.

12 Likes

I remember our eldest when he was about 8 months having to taste everything Mum and Dad were having. Mum having a brandy. Junior wants some. Mum decides to let him learn by tasting. Precocious little beast quaffs it without blinking.

Not quite the learning experience we had in mind.

12 Likes

I’ve got breakers, no fuses, and my house was built in the 1880s. So having breakers doesn’t mean it’s a new house.

On the other hand, I had the impression that a house needs to be “old” in order to be haunted and try to kill someone. A lot of modern construction is entirely soulless and therefore can’t have restless souls, either.

Judging from various ghost stories, American ghosts require at least fifty-year-old houses, whereas most European ghosts are complete snobs and insist on medieval castles. Cemeteries are popular everywhere, though.

7 Likes

Odds are someone had an old breaker tripping and just kept upping it until it stopped…

I’ve always liked the theory that the breaker protects the circuit, but it seems odd how houses are wired today. Like the bathroom/sink outlets in a lot of houses are on one circuit (being GFCI protected at the panel), but yet people are running hairdryers on them. Have multiple people getting ready and two people flip on a hair dryer, pop there goes the breaker. But then again I’m a big believer in multiple panels, which costs more in materials and labor…