Should you put salt in your coffee? "Hopefully not, but maybe"

KCl costs about 5 times more than NaCl. And it has a bitter aftertaste. Makes it less desirable for pumping up processed food with salt to make it tasty and cheap. Potassium Chloride will still extend shelf-life like Sodium Chloride will, but if spaghettios and chef chef boyardee were to taste bitter I doubt children would eat it. Might be acceptable in cup ramen where the savory artificial chicken flavor might cover up the KCl bitterness.

4 Likes

Somehow I am expecting @doctorow to weigh in the merits of cold brew coffee not needing this added extra.

1 Like

orange juice is full of potassium and people seem OK with it :confused:

1 Like

potassium citrate tastes different than potassium chloride because it is a different chemical compound.

5 Likes

Excellent! We all could use more AB!

3 Likes

Hot brew coffee doesn’t need salt either.

It’s bad brew coffee that needs a splint and a crutch.

2 Likes

He’s been pumping out great stuff on his YouTube channel lately!

Here’s one where he talks about his coffee routine: (coffee content starts at 2m10s)

I learned it as a diner trick years ago and it takes shockingly little to turn a terrible cup into something manageable. It doesn’t help a good or decent cup.

I played with that last year and while it made for a good cup, the amount of effort wasn’t worth the improvement.

1 Like

I dont do salt, but a dash of freshly ground black pepper in the grounds is really good. It it’s something you feel more than taste. Only recommended with black coffee.

3 Likes

is the coffee really hot enough to kill the bacteria from the eggs? id guess even american style pressure washed eggs could have salmonella.

1 Like

The regular process of brewing coffee should easily kill the salmonella. A quick search confirms this :slight_smile:

The ideal temperature range for hot brewing is 195 to 205 degrees Fahrenheit

To kill salmonella you have to cook eggs to 160 degrees Fahrenheit

1 Like

thanks science! ( err. thanks @Grey_Devil! ) now i can eggsperiment safely.

hmmm… now i heard 5g interferes with the bean brewing process. any thoughts? :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve used this trick for decades. It’s super-useful when the coffee comes from a big tureen/urn that isn’t washed often enough, which makes the coffee taste perpetually burnt.

The downside, however, is that it also removes much of the flavor from coffee, overall ^^’. So it’s great for rescuing a bitter, evil cup when you badly need some caffeine but self-defeating for better stuff.

2 Likes

That should help you rise and shine in the morning. Or at least rise.

well, there’s a bit of salt in there, so it’s sort of the same trick, but the baking soda also helps neutralize some of the acid.

1 Like

Toothpaste and orange juice makes for a bitter combination.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.