Shower-bus for homeless people rolls in San Francisco

I was going to say the exact same thing about washer/dryers.

To be honest, there are homeless people, and there are bums.

I’m willing to bet that the number of bums (as a percentage) is relatively constant across cultures and history. Even a medieval village had the town drunk. I don’t want to sound callous, but you can’t save someone from themselves.

Homeless people, however, are a reflection of larger economic factors. You would be horrified to know how many of them in this country right now are kids. A lot of them live in campgrounds, stay with friends, live in their cars- If they keep a cellphone and PO box, take showers at a gym, and hold down a job (more common than you’d think) you might never realize they can’t afford a place to live… But it’s an incredibly taxing way to live.

1 Like

Well, they work in limited ways. They keep people from freezing to death in the winter and dying of heatstroke in the summer. They also provide a point of contact so when someone on the streets wants help with addiction or mental illness, they can talk to someone who knows what programs are available.

1 Like

So Rider, are you saying that these people PREFER to sleep on the sidewalk with a piece of cardboard around them, which I have seen many times? are you saying that they will not go home and sleep in the spare bedroom of a loved one, if it was offered?

I’m wondering how much you really know about all this, but I’m willing to give you a chance. You might really be an expert and I might learn something here. Are you saying that if a bus was provided at dusk to take people to a shelter, the MAJORITY of people sleeping on the street would not accept the ride? When you say that shelters do not work for homeless, that doesn’t jibe with what I’ve heard, that they are always full.

This is huge.

A while back, I had a friend living in my truck for six months, and hygiene was by far her biggest issue. (Finding a bathroom is often nearly impossible in San Francisco, but I usually parked near a 24-hour Safeway.) When it comes to public showers, though, you’re pretty much screwed. She finally found a woman’s shelter that allowed walk-in use of their shower, but it was first-come, first-serve, and only available during limited hours. (According to another friend who lived rough for a while, there’s nothing similar available for guys.)

I’d heard this had been proposed; glad to see it’s made it this far.

So if the first sentence doesn’t dispel your biases, it’s game on.

Star Trek is striving for the technology where want of resources are a thing of the past (which of course makes treating everyone well much easier). It isn’t the same thing as “liv[ing[ off the taxpayers” which isn’t a sustainable model if too many people decide to go that route.

You’ve got so many ideas - are you actually doing anything to make them a reality? Or do you just spend your time knocking someone who is having a go?

This is a really practical idea, and it’s real. I’m sure if you contact Lava Mae, and explain that you’d like to copy what they’re doing, they’d be happy to help.

Actually solving one problem for homeless people is far better than dreaming about solving all their troubles.

2 Likes

Actually, given productivity growth throughout the latter half of the 20th century, the common wealth could easily sustain everyone who’s inclined to bludge, if we all weren’t getting bled dry by an elite who’ve made the concept of progressive taxation verboten.

Most folks are intrinsically motivated to add value to the collective human enterprise, and as automation continues to raise productivity, we’re going to have to start regarding that as a lucky privilege rather than a moral obligation.

The question is what’s to become of the 30% or more for whom there’ll be no job.

4 Likes

Yes that is exactly what I’m saying. Rather then deal with rules or deal with their own mental issues many of them chose to live on the street.

Homeless people hate shelters. Just look at all the work NYC has to do every year forcing people into them when it drops below freezing.

http://today.ttu.edu/2010/01/on-the-streets-why-homeless-people-refuse-shelter/

http://www.npr.org/2012/12/06/166666265/why-some-homeless-choose-the-streets-over-shelters

[quote]Haley Phelps, manager of the Oklahoma City Day Shelter, said a recent survey of the roughly 225 to 250 people who use the shelter daily found that 53 percent of them do not stay in an overnight shelter.

Straughan said that even though shelters expand the number of people they will take in and relax their occupancy requirements during inclement weather, it isn’t uncommon to see at least one or two freezing deaths during the winter months.[/quote]

The reason it sounds a bit like Spanish is because it’s (almost) Latin. Lava me is Latin for ‘wash me’. It’s usually pronounced (in an ecclesiastical context at least) equivalent to ‘Lava may’ or ‘Lava mae’, which is probably why they’ve gone for the non-standard spelling.

That’s nice. I can assuare you, that even if we had replicator technolgy, certain stakeholders would move heaven to make sure that everyone is either busy for 40 hours a week or gets marginalized.

4 Likes

In Costa Rica, where we speak Spanish, “Mae” means “dude”, “pal” or “bro”, so the name here renders as something like “Dude wash”.

3 Likes

Ironically, showers use actual lava, which clears up the homeless problem.

That’s satire before someone gets their undies in a wad.

1 Like

Cool, didn’t know that!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.