Shudder as you learn that Disney's live-action Hercules movie will draw influence from Tik Tok culture

Originally published at: Shudder as you learn that Disney's live-action Hercules movie will draw influence from Tik Tok culture | Boing Boing

1 Like

Maybe it’s a great thing that the WB got James Gunn to pretty much run DC’s movie projects instead of one of the Russo’s.

5 Likes

I’m very confused about whether this version of Hercules is the same one from the cartoon just in live-action form, or the one that was teased in the after-credits scene of Thor: Love and Thunder.

Given the goody-goody aspect of the animated guy and some of the traits of Russel Crowe’s Zeus, it’s hard to imagine that they could be easily merged into the same continuity.

5 Likes

I really don’t know what “influence from Tik Tok” for a musical even means. Is the movie going to be posted in 30 secs to a minute long clips so people can meme it?

1 Like

And music for the opening credits will be…

4 Likes

It should be no more jarring than when studios started gratuitously adding rap and hip hop style music performances into movies without regard to the tone of the scene.

2 Likes

“You are THIS close to being uninvited to the orgy!”

6 Likes

TikTokules

I stand corrected.

3 Likes

This does seem to fit with the original playfullness and experimental nature of the animated Hercules though. It was a pretty start break in visual and writing style considering it is bookended by Pocahontas/Hunchback and Mulan. It had a much more energetic, frantic Saturday-morning cartoon vibe, and was full of tongue-in-cheek anachronisms and reference humor. If I had to pick a modern milieu to match the somehow simultaneously ironic and genuinely fun mood of that movie, it would probably be Tik-Tok…

“Trained” by TikTok?

The best thing about these remakes is everyone immediately forgets they happened. The new Pinocchio movie had about as much cultural impact as like those cheap disney knockoff VHS tapes did back in the day. (Remember that? Like Aladdin or the hunchback would come out and immediately some cheaply made cartoon with the same title would be in the stores. I may be showing my age here)

It wasn’t even the non-Disney knock-offs that were forgettable.

1 Like

It’s going to be shot in portrait mode.

6 Likes

Soon may the Hercules come
To bring us sugar and tea and rum
One day, when the heroing is done
We’ll take our leave and go

1980s_memes-11_03_22-2-5

3 Likes

C’mon guys, this is just classical mythology! Don’t you all remember the 12 tiktok challenges of Hercules?

Actually, if they want some really, really, dark truth-in-television that particular source material starts when he kills his entire family under the influence of divinely imposed madness: you could totally have the piece start with Hercules’ online radicalization, livestreamed spree killing; and subsequent 12 challenges.

It’s going to be an instrument of surveillance for the Chinese government?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.