Shueisha-the publisher of Shonen Jump- has a new imprint in the works

Originally published at: Shueisha-the publisher of Shonen Jump- has a new imprint in the works | Boing Boing

It wasn’t entirely clear to me in the article if this was a new physical product (which would seem like a bad idea to me) or a digital one, so I went to the supplied source and confirmed that this is intended as a digital offering and it seems like cellphones are the intended platform. It’ll be interesting to see if this is going to be a free service or require some sort of subscription. I’d also be interested to know if there are any plans to make translations available right in the service, like has become common with anime streaming services.

Its a digital platform, and if anything Shonen Jump is late to the party in a sense because there’s already a lot of healthy competition for platforms that have webcomics and manga. Typically it works as a subscription thing but readers can also spend money to buy “coins” which you then spend on reading whatever issues/chapters you’re interested in, you can also engage with the website to grind free coins if you don’t want to spend money, and you can also use the coins to tip authors/artists that you like. It can be expensive for those that read a lot since its likely that the content you’re interested in will be spread out on different services, i looked into it because i do actually read a ton of chinese and korean manga so the alternative is unfortunately to look for fan and machine translated manga since its free.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.