Shut-in celebrities sing "imagine no possessions" on Twitter. Twitterverse goes bananas over the perceived tone-deafness

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/19/shut-in-celebrities-sing-ima.html

2 Likes

Every time a celebrity says “imagine no possessions” I want someone to stroll into said celebrity’s house and take something.

24 Likes

https://forge.medium.com/minimalism-is-a-luxury-good-4488693708e5

11 Likes

As grossly overpaid as these celebrities seem from a normal person’s point of view, it’s still not even a rounding error compared to the fortunes of Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg and other billionaires who could be using their positions of immense power and privilege to help millions of people in tangible ways.

Mark Ruffalo was one of several dozen actors to appear in some Marvel movies and was doubtlessly well-compensated for doing so. Good for him.

Meanwhile Michael Bloomberg spent more than half a billion dollars (easily enough to singlehandedly produce at least two Marvel movies) on what amounted to a vanity political campaign that ended just a couple of weeks ago. Now Bloomberg is pledging $40 Million to help fight the Coronavirus pandemic—less than a tenth of what he spent on the campaign.

The problem isn’t the Ruffalos here.

77 Likes

They should have sang a different John Lennon song…

16 Likes

pick a song that doesn’t suck next time celebrities!

4 Likes

Was it a millionaire who said, “Imagine no possessions”?
A poor little schoolboy who said, “We don’t need no lessons”?

5 Likes

Or to buy, say, ten thousand high-end ICU-quality ventilators.

19 Likes

Billionaires: Shall I spend a few percent of my hoard to help millions…? Nah.

You’ll starve if we do, you fuckers.

23 Likes

Not least of which because it’s a shitty song written by a fabulously wealthy person who owned a goddamn temperature-controlled closet for his collection of fur coats and whose idea of sacrifice was to stay in bed.

9 Likes

Get back to me when they post self servicing vids that ‘ring their own bell’ to show how plugged in they are to the little people.

1 Like

Remarkably prescient, as it turns out.

21 Likes

Knowingly or unknowingly the celebrities of our age are co-conspirators in the earth destroying, inequality creating consumer culture. It is their job to sell the public an image of success to be longed for and chased after, consequences be damned.

It’s interesting to see this elevated strain of our culture compete with the rumblings of the crowd. These celebrities, after all, are fully indoctrinated in the religion of americanism. They’re used to getting praise for dishing out sentimentalism by the bucketload when times are normal.

Maybe the rules are about to change.

12 Likes

I haven’t watched the full video but I know Gal Gadot is Israeli, Jamie Dornan is from Northern Ireland, and John Lennon was from England.

10 Likes

pitchfork

10 Likes

Considering this thread is about celebrities callously choosing a famous Beetles song from 40 years ago to sing because it includes the line “Imagine no possessions”, I can sense a sort of irony of complaining about their promotion of consumer culture…

It’s not a video, but will this do?

10 Likes

but, somehow, John Lennon is still cool for writing and singing “imagine no possessions” ? He can say it but these celebs can’t, unless they divest of all their possessions.

And I’m sure everyone criticizing them has already divested of all their possessions.

Let’s face it, very, very few people on Twitter can truly imagine having no possessions.

2 Likes

The key word is “imagine”. It is a though experiment to help people envisage a different and perhaps better future.

8 Likes

and what of the people who depend on his stores to get food?

2 Likes