Shut-in celebrities sing "imagine no possessions" on Twitter. Twitterverse goes bananas over the perceived tone-deafness

Not the revolution I wanted. I was hoping for the kind where nobody gets sick or dies.

1 Like

The Bloomberg campaign was neither vanity nor incompetent. It achieved exactly what it was designed to do.

7 Likes

I find it impossible to believe there were voters in significant enough numbers who were on the fence about Sanders vs. a centrist by the time Bloomberg entered the race. Like, a venn diagram of potentially voting for Biden/Bloomberg and potentially voting for Sanders would have virtually zero overlap. Just because this Ratner guy says that was the strategy doesn’t mean that’s the way it went down; strategies often don’t work, even if the result looks the same as “Sanders just didn’t have the votes”.

3 Likes

Bloomberg’s thing wasn’t about attracting leftist voters, it was about (a) saturating the airwaves so that leftist candidates could not use the conventional media, and (b) driving up turnout amongst Boomers.

4 Likes

The new york times savages it too.

I don’t think that FGD’s statement qualifies as driving trollies.

2 Likes

Gal Gadot is considered the anti-Christ by some on the left. I am too dumb to be into reasons why, unless I am politically motivated to really go for it, tho. I heard she is a feminist icon for white people who love movies and aren’t worried about Israli-Palestinian conflict / bad blood.

I swear to god I promise this shit is new to me and I am not concern trolling. It’s fucking weird the more you learn about this stuff. Everyone is pissed off at everyone else all the time.

100% yes

@SamWinston Sarah Silverman rules so hard

I’ve never shared any of the “eat the rich” fuff and bear no ill will towards these celebs.

OTOH I’m glad people are finally waking up to what a horrid absolutely dystopian song this is.

2 Likes

Wait - so they are down on celebrities for the ironic line “imagine no possessions”, but they aren’t down on John Lennon for writing the song?

The dude was worth like $800 million when he died. If he were alive today it would probably be exponentially larger.

Twitter’s use as a spring board to pile on pointing out people who commit perceived sins is just another example of it being a worthless platform. It is a purity test no one can pass all of the time.

It’s not just Twitter.

1 Like

I think plenty of people were critical of Lennon, for a number of reasons, including being an abusive asshole and getting into the activism game late. But you know, BEATLES, so… :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Perhaps, if it was an awesome performance, people wouldn’t have complained-- or they would have been drowned out by the people who enjoyed it.

But it wasn’t.

Fixed!

3 Likes

:rofl:

YES! GG FTW!!! Hahaha!

2 Likes

Learning now that truck drivers, nurses’ aides and grocery stockers are a hell of a lot more important than actors, athletes and musicians.

2 Likes

True, but the only criticism I’ve heard about 'Imagine" tends to be from the right wing who don’t want to imagine no religion and don’t take kindly to the hippy dippy message.

The song, by nature, has the same tone deafness people are complaining about now. YMMV.

Yes, the Beatles were hugely influential. And his murder means he is stuck in time with a gloss coating that makes people remember the good. If he were alive today he would have had more time to live up to his hero or villain role.

One other thing. I’d like to see these celebs show up on Youtube after

three weeks of no personal trainer
three weeks of no salon or spa visits
three weeks of no Botox
and especially
three weeks of doing their own cooking and laundry

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.