Signal reaffirms it will leave European market rather than agree to help governments surveil users

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/02/signal-reaffirms-it-will-leave-european-market-rather-than-agree-to-help-governments-surveil-users.html

13 Likes

Whitey Bulger took long walks along the Boston shore to talk business. If nothing else, it was good exercise.

6 Likes

British communists and anarchists used to go rambling to discuss tactics without having the police spying on them.

It’s part of the reason why the Kinder Scout mass trespass happened.

11 Likes

“The ducks in St James’s Park are so used to being fed bread by secret agents meeting clandestinely that they have developed their own Pavlovian reaction. Put a St James’s Park duck in a laboratory cage and show it a picture of two men – one usually wearing a coat with a fur collar, the other something sombre with a scarf – and it’ll look up expectantly.”

Neil Gaiman, Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

21 Likes

This is another reason why phones need “alternative app stores”. If the French Apple App Store doesn’t provide Signal, you need to be able to download it from Sleazo’s Discount App Store.

4 Likes

This is so weird, because when I briefly worked in policy it was the opposite: the Americans (specifically the FBI) would spin tales of woe about “going dark”, and then the French and Germans seemed to take turns reminding folks about the terrors of WWII and the GDR

(The latter of which doesn’t get nearly as many movies or TV shows but was closer both in time and technology to ours – they had faxes, phones, even email!)

3 Likes

I have to donate to Signal again. I appreciate their stance on this. Hopefully it wakes up some more people to this bad law in the EU.

5 Likes

I’ve been using Signal all day every day for a couple of years. This article was a reminder for me to contribute money to the project. Done!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.