Sikh coder's excellent protest sign at March for Science

It’s partially because they all come with their own bottle opener.

2 Likes

From what I understand (from a random article I read a few months ago), it’s extremely difficult to formally verify large codebases, and it’s a pretty new thing.

I’d be very surprised if all of (or any of) an airline’s code was mathematically-proven to be bug-free.

3 Likes

Sikh is a religion, and British is a nationality. I am not sure why that would seem like a discrepancy, other problems of the movie aside.

1 Like

emphasis added

11 Likes

Well, that put a quick end to that attempted derail based on one panel of a webcomic. Let me try: do Sikhs in the old timeline need furniture?

4 Likes

I have known and worked with several Sikhs, as well as having lived in a Sikh community (Richmond Hill), but I still cannot conceive of how self-identifying as an ethnicity is supposed to work. Either way, even as an ethnicity this in no way precludes an ethnic Sikh from being British or USian, since those are nationalities rather than ethnicities.

I don’t want to derail into discussion of Star Trek, but it might be relevant as it relates to how Sikhs may be perceived. When I was in NYC there was some local animosity towards the Sikh community, all by people who didn’t seem to know anything about it whatsoever.

17 Likes

See above reference to brown-skinned, bearded, wears a strange hat.

But as far as self-identifying as an ethnicity goes…

Ask any UKIP voter if they are prepared to accept Sikhs as actually “British.”

If the dominant culture wants to label you as “other” I think it’s kind of natural to band together with others so labeled. Even if the only thing you have in common with the other “others” is the label that has been applied by the dominant culture.

11 Likes

That solidarity is an inspiring attitude. But as regards the topic here, I don’t quite understand what “distinguishing from a Muslim” means. That’s like proving a negative, and a backwards burden of proof besides.

I went through this myself at a workplace where I was “caught” having some Sanskrit books in my office. And I had the same questions levelled at me. “How is this Hindu stuff any different from Muslim?” It’s hard to know where to start! They didn’t like that I put to them having a Christian manager in a Jewish-owned company, they were much closer (being reductively “Abrahamic” traditions) to Muslim than me or my beliefs are. USian Christians don’t like being reminded that they too could be said to - if one were being uncharitable - be importing/appropriating some weird Eastern cult!

2 Likes

Verified simply means that it meets the specification. This is an great improvement on most software but is not a guarantee that it is free of bugs because the specification itself can be in error. Any software developer will be able to give you instances of code that implements exactly what was asked for but is nonetheless faulty because the specification was incorrect.

7 Likes
  1. They believe in justice. and 2) they are trained warriors. They are good people to have on your side.

This is actually what started me thinking about Star Trek. It’s a complimentary stereotype for Sikhs, but a stereotype nonetheless. And it’s also similar to how Star Trek describes Klingons. It made me wonder if there was online discussion along those lines.

6 Likes

And Ricardo Montalban was Catholic… so it’s academic, sort of.

:slight_smile:

6 Likes
19 Likes

Oh noes! It really is the naan-y state! With ghee and garlic for me, please!

2 Likes

One of our technicians here (a Mexican-American who’s married to his white supervisor’s daughter) was working one day in his backyard and joking with one of the new neighbor ladies. After finishing up and going back into the house, his wife comes out to talk to the new neighbor who says, “Your gardener is SO funny!”

9 Likes

He works in aviation. His code is bug free; if you’re working on any important system on an aircraft your code is verifiable, mathematically provable that it’s bug free.

Sorry thats bullshit. ATC software developer here with 12 years experience. The systems are heavily validated and changes are strictly controlled. The software can be loaded with bugs which is missed by testing and never touched operationally.

3 Likes

Negativity is a self-inflicted bug we run on our mental OS.

1 Like

Testing is generally system level, and at least partly integrated. Unit testing by developers is expected of course, but formal validation of subsystems would involve hooking them up to simulators and running through tests which are based on system level requirements.

An outfit like Boeing would have a high level of confidence that each component does what it says on the box.

2 Likes

Are any units system-tested in environmental chambers (simulating depressurized cabin)?

Unit tests in development are always done by developers and totally removed from the operational environment. Like you write a function on your workstation and use a test interface to feed in data and look at the output. Nothing to do with the final environment where it runs.

I would expect Boeing and their suppliers to run a range of tests on the equipment they use, including variations in temperature, vibration, power supply voltage, electronic interfaces, data interfaces, etc. ie, lets spit crap data to it for a while and see if it recovers to normal operation afterwards. That sort of thing. But its my general expectation from working in the industry and I don’t have direct experience to be able to say exactly what they do.

1 Like