Simple comic explains how not to derail conversations about gender identity

2 Likes

“That’s it, I’m done arguing with you people because you obviously aren’t listening to me”

“Wait, you said WHAT? Well, I have to respond to that”

2 Likes

I’ve been reading the entire page and everyone’s comments on this topic and it’s interesting to read everyone’s point of view on this topic.

One thing that I’ve seen that bugs me is when people have convinced themselves that a person is derailing a conversation and telling them to “google it” isn’t from someone who comes into the conversation blind or even at the start of an online thread, but instead it’s when someone is challenging the discussion or providing another point that no one else likes or agrees with.

So when someone comes in with a counterpoint, someone or a group in the conversation will say “You’re wrong”. The person who provided the counterpoint will ask “Ok, why am I wrong?” in order to find out what is going on in the person’s head. However, their response of “go google it” and not actually backing up their original “You’re wrong” statement seems to be something that is accepted as appropriate dialogue. I’ve seen more people get shut down in a conversation for providing an opposing view or counterpoint to the discussion and being told to “google it” than to actually engage in conversation to back up what they believe is the facts.

1 Like

4 Likes

Oh come on. If you’re going to use Janeane Garofalo, at least use this one.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.