Since most used bookstores are closed, why not just browse your own bookshelves?

61 bankers’ boxes of books are headed up to the new home this load. About the same were in the previous load although the trailer was smaller. Altogether something on the order of 120 boxes packed solid with books.

Did you know that four walls of floor-to-ceiling bookshelves (packed) make for GREAT acoustics in a media room? They disperse the reflections so that all of the echos are multipathed to a whisper.

Here’s what we had in the dining room a couple of moves ago:

ETA: PM and I can tell you how it went together. Dead easy and literally strong enough for tons of books. Because when we emptied it, that’s what we had.

11 Likes

Excellent - thanks!

3 Likes

I mostly gave up printed on paper books since the E-book revolution. It’s nice to have a library in your pocket.

Only good while the battery works and what ever service allows you to read them works. I love me an ebook when I’m traveling, and the free distill audiobooks from the library are fantastic, but rely on ebooks alone? Never going to happen.
(Does the fact that I like to make paper, own a printing press and know bookbinding mean anything?)

4 Likes

Emma Goldman never went anywhere without a book, because she never knew when she’d be arrested, and wanted something to keep herself busy if that happened.

She could carry more books as ebooks, but likely have trouble charging it.

Ian Ballantine, of Ballantine Books, was the son of Emma’s niece.

2 Likes

Rudi Dutschke always carried a briefcase full of books for that contingency, but IIRC he never was arrested.

That’s a great habit! Never helped me when I was arrested, as they always took my belongings away from me, but I find having a book on hand makes me far less grumpy when faced with long lines or other interminable waits. A paperback copy of Camus’ “The Stranger” got me happily through a full day of Jury duty where my number didn’t get pulled even once. Meanwhile, the bailiffs were scolding anyone in the room who looked at their phones or other electronic devices.

3 Likes

OT: I think that may have a tiny bit to do with it. :grinning:

BOT: Good point about the power not working. Maybe I’ll get a solar charger or something. But just to be safe I think I’ll look for some Omnibus paper editions of my favorite series.

Do you think being a Science Fiction Fan might have something to do with my obsession with E-Books?

1 Like

I’d love to but I moved countries this year and had to leave all my books behind. Right now my “library” is pitiful.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Damn, you’re living in grand style but your library is a bit unimaginative!

Seriously though, that is pathetic. They didn’t even fill the bookshelf with that crap, just a few forlorn volumes on cheap perspex display stands. I can feel through the screen the librarians’ disgust at what they have been reduced to . If they weren’t outright fired and this was arranged by an intern who has no emotional connection to books or reading.

3 Likes

But that’s the Trump Library. All his written output in one place. Might as well spread it out to make it more impressive. I suppose they’ll add a computer to display his many glorious tweets.

When he’s gone in January, they’ll move it to the lobby of Trump Tower. (Maybe when he loses the election he’ll quit right there in November.)

4 Likes

Yeah but it’s in the White House (for now). So I assumed that the librarians were the same ones who had worked for Obama before (if, again, they hadn’t been fired). That’s why I assumed the display was so loveless. They were ordered to display those screeds but they sure as hell weren’t going to make it look nice.

3 Likes

I’ve been reading a Daily Telegraph cookbook from 1965 I’d forgotten about. Not only are there some good recipes, it includes the glorious phrase ‘uninstructed hock drinkers’ in the booze section.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.