Singapore Airlines says seatback cameras are "disabled"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/20/singapore-airlines-says-seatba.html

6 Likes

We would like to share that they have been permanently disabled on our aircraft and cannot be activated on board.

And someone has hacked these “disabled” cameras in 5… 4… 3…

10 Likes

TSA: What do you need electrical tape for?

Me: You never know when you’ll need to cover an exposed…um…wire.

12 Likes

Duct tape.
Don’t leave home without it.

13 Likes

A post-it note? I’d suggest nail polish or a sharpie. Tape is okay but eventually comes off.

10 Likes

Almost went with that. The handyman’s best friend becomes the flyer’s best friend!

7214525854_733237dd83_z

18 Likes

giphy

8 Likes

If there’s a camera installed by default, that implies that there’s also probably a microphone.

22 Likes

Perfect use for these EFF stickers.

13 Likes

A few minutes with a diamond nail file is even better.

3 Likes

Just stick one of these over the lens

28 Likes

Maybe. Presumably the manufacturer was considering some AR game thing but Singapore airlines didn’t pay extra for the feature.

2 Likes

I would vote for chewing gum, but you might be in for Singaporean legal penalties…

7 Likes

Delta has what to me looks like an eye tracker… in their new 757’s

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp0YxGXj9XR/

2 Likes

… the goggly will also gaze into thee.

7 Likes

Don’t chew gum on Singapore Air.

4 Likes

Meh, I’m not going to say anything I don’t want heard in public in the middle of a crowd of hundreds of strangers anyway.

Granted I also usually travel alone, so I don’t have anyone to talk to…

I’ve seen these on United too. Not sure what they are. At least a couple of the ports seem to contain IR LEDs (they’re near-IR and leak a bit into the visible spectrum so I can see a slight red glow when they’re on), and they seem to activate when I wave my hand within a few inches of the screen (which also causes that blue capacitive ‘button’ in the center to light up). It may just be an overengineered proximity sensor to wake up the touch panel when your hand is near it…

1 Like

Maybe. I would swear I have seen cameras in domestic entertainment systems as well. Also with headphone ports (which presumably would support mic input).

The more interesting part is the USB port on them.

On the seatbacks? That USB is invaluable for charging phones and ipads.

5 Likes