Siri accompanied by pen drumming sounds like minimalist experimental music

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/29/siri-accompanied-by-pen-drummi.html

7 Likes

Poor Siri doesn’t seem to know how much fun she is having.

Or does she?

8 Likes

two different musical siri posts this morning and I am not sure which one is better.

4 Likes

Man, nobody even listens to lyrics these days.

13 Likes

It would be more Steve Reich if someone asked Siri and someone else simultaneously Okay Googled it.

…I assume they don’t speak at exactly the same speed, anyway? I think I need to run an experiment tonight once I get back to my mixed platform household.

4 Likes

Can Alexa/Siri listen while they speak, or do you have to switch them off to end recursion?

2 Likes

Normally I’m not a headline stickler, but that “sounds like” should be “is”.

I wonder how long before these devices get so touchy feely that they want to insult the other brands. The devices sense when everyone is asleep and then it is slam time.

1 Like

/puts on pedantic pants

Just because it has a single, persistent repeating sound doesn’t mean it’s minimalist, but maybe we can compromise and call it “minimal”? Mini- ?

Public Enemy was ahead of their time with She Watch Planet Zero.

My ears only hear all “zebra zebra zebra” after the first 10 seconds or so of percussion.

What idea of minimalism are you going to for authoritative labeling? This seems a little bit like arguing over which bands are punk.

1 Like

I mean, composed music of a specific genre and time period - as in, composers of the minimalist movement. Not an authority and not going to dance about architecture but this (video music) (the human component of it) has a regular phrase length, predictable pattern of tension then not tension within a normal-ish span of time, sounds like a good bucket drummer in a touristy outdoor spot in the summertime. Its rhythm pattern is two beers away from sounding like this at 0:14 or 0:30 - not that there’s anything wrong with that, imho

I think maybe I was just in a dickish mood yesterday. Obviously there is a distinction between baroque music and contemporary music composed in a baroque style.

And what you say about the “drums” is true. I’d be much more prone to argue that Siri alone without the drums sounds more like minimalist music than it does with the drumming. I guess it makes me think of John Cage. I was trying to think of a quotation about listening to traffic but fortunately it was on wikipedia:

When I hear what we call music, it seems to me that someone is talking. And talking about his feelings, or about his ideas of relationships. But when I hear traffic, the sound of traffic—here on Sixth Avenue, for instance—I don’t have the feeling that anyone is talking. I have the feeling that sound is acting. And I love the activity of sound … I don’t need sound to talk to me.

The “accidental” sound of the looping zeros feels like it’s just sounds acting by itself. The drumming feels like someone talking.

1 Like

Update: Android won’t read out the zeros! Best I could get was to use the Translation TTS, and that insisted on pronouncing them as "oh"s. I guess I need to find someone with Alexa, which is certainly the first time I’ve ever thought that.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.