Sit on this Washington sidewalk and face a $1,000 fine plus 90 days in jail

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/09/sit-on-this-washington-sidewal.html

Who needs Cards Against Humanity when you have laws against humanity?

When this was tried in Seattle proper, they called them, “civility laws”, which tells you all you need to know about government civility.

Sit/lie laws nothing new, sadly. SF has one, although it’s basically unenforced. Turns out that it costs a lot of money and takes a lot of police resources to jail homeless people. Doesn’t stop people here from demanding that it be enforced.

Opponents of the law says it’s a violation of human rights.

Huh? Thanks for your concern, but you don’t understand - I’m a white male. My rights will be just fine.

And if one has no legs?

I’m sure it’s enforced, just arbitrarily and as a pretext for stop and frisk style searches of POC nd the homeless.

How noble the law, in its majestic equality, forbids rich and poor alike from sitting on the side of the street.

What a weird law. I mean, it just calls for people collapsing of exhaustion, “needing a sit-down of a few minutes, no, no need for an ambulance” to flout the law to the point of absurdity.

Just how nice is this sidewalk, anyway?

The local jail just might be nicer, when it’s below freezing out. This is Washington, not Mississippi.

If ever there was a time to see how far you can push citizens arrests against the wealthy and their children. When they complain they can be briefly reminded of zero-tolerance policies and police overreach in low income schools.

That’s not the Monroe I used to know back in the 80s.
I’ll bet Duvall has changed too.

Mount Vernon, WA, not that far away from Monroe, has a small sculpture park downtown with built-in steps/benches for sitting. However,. the homeless prefer to congregate along the River Walk; where the benches and scenery are nicer.

In Monroe? Not so nice, actually.

Makes me ashamed to be a Washingtonian.

In Monroe? Mostly rubble.

Duvall had exploded is the past 10 or so years. The taxes are low and many Microsofties are priced out of Redmond these days.

Does it have a Starbucks yet?

It’s Washington. EVERYTHING has a Starbucks.