Site tells you if you can go to Japan

Originally published at: Site tells you if you can go to Japan | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Please do come to Japan once you are able to again!

14 Likes

Japan closed. On brand for that country, really.

The new bit is they don’t behead you for showing up, they just send you home.

5 Likes
1 Like

dont tell me what to do amy poehler GIF

2 Likes

I hope it’s open soon for cherry blossom season. I’ve always wanted to see that

3 Likes

I will try! I had a holiday to Japan booked for June 2020. Not sure when I’ll eventually make it.

4 Likes

Remember, we have ways of dealing with that sort of thing.

3 Likes

Badge checks out.

4 Likes

The Commodore badge I had two years ago would be more appropriate. :grinning:

4 Likes

Going on my 3rd year without seeing my in-laws (who live in a suburb of Nara)
One one hand I don’t miss sitting without back support on a tatami for meals.
On the other hand, I miss having an excuse for day drinking with my father in law

2 Likes

Coincidentally i saw a manhole cover depicting this event when i visited Japan some years ago :slight_smile:

6 Likes
4 Likes

Was this manhole cover actually located in Yokosuka?
If I ever manage to make my way to Japan I’d like to visit Kurihama and the monument they have there.

1 Like

Yes i’m pretty confident this was in Yokosuka, i can’t tell you where exactly because this was some years ago but if you do go good luck! Personally i’d love to go back to Japan as well :smiley: really want to see more

1 Like

Since i was with my parents and a family friend i didn’t have time to meander and look at manhole covers as much as i wanted to. I took pics of 3 different manhole covers but if i ever go back i know i’m definitely gunna hunt more down

2 Likes

Was meant to be at Tokyo 2020 with my son and his girlfriend for the sport climbing finals :cry:.

Last trip 3 years ago, Christmas in Osaka, New Year in Kumamoto, side trip to Ishigaki… hatching plans to move there to work for a few years, here’s hoping SARS-nCoV-2 will stop being a party pooper sooner rather than later!

2 Likes

Here in Okinawa we went from having 1-3 new cases per day to around 1500 new cases per day over the past three weeks, almost certainly due to the American bases not doing enough to test and quarantine people they bring in. We’re back to shutting everything down for the first time in a long time, and it just sucks so much.

7 Likes

I have been to every corner of Japan, but Nara is my favorite place here. The history! The magic! The deer!

People whose only memory of Nara is going on a school field trip look at me like I’m crazy when I tell them that.

Evidently, Nara is ranked 45th (out of 47 prefectures) in popularity as a domestic tourist destination, which is really a shame…

5 Likes

Less crowds for me.

Not only does it have all that history and aggressive cute deer but it is reasonable commuter transportation distance to Kyoto and Osaka. Osaka has a fun informal eating/drinking culture. My wife insists we go to the Dotonburi area at least once per visit.

I just adore the whole Kansai region.

4 Likes