Site tells you where you can order 6,000 species of plant

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/06/site-tells-you-where-you-can-order-6000-species-of-plant.html

5 Likes

6k of plants and no trippin’ ? Unpossible.

I could find you some on the list, but I would not recommend trying any.

I read my Rätsch and some Shulgin, and as a botanist, I have a healthy respect for most psychotropic substances. 10 out of 10, would not recommend.

4 Likes

And apparently no pennyroyal, famed active ingredient of Benjamin Franklin’s recipe for dealing with an unwanted …“misfortune”:

“For this Misfortune, you must purge with Highland Flagg, (commonly called Bellyach Root) a Week before you expect to be out of Order; and repeat the same two Days after; the next Morning drink a Quarter of Pint of Pennyroyal Water, or Decoction, with 12 Drops of Spirits of Harts-horn, and as much again at Night, when you go to Bed. Continue this 9 Days running; and after resting 3 Days, go on with it for 9 more.”

(Slate on Franklin’s curious footnote)

3 Likes

it says everything that men will clone a whole ass park full of carnivorous dinosaurs but not a single silphium plant

10 Likes

Pennyroyal is a traditional abortifacient but also very hepatotoxic, so I would not recommend it for that anyway.

7 Likes

This was my first thought and it is, in fact, unpossible on this site.They do avoid the ones a neophyte would target.
As a pharmacist, I can’t recommend any of them either, especially the one in my avatar. Avoid! Entheogens bad.

5 Likes

You should probably give it a few months. It just stopped snowing.

4 Likes

I checked and they don’t have either rat tail or monkey’s tail plants :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

A rather poor aggregator, at least for carnivorous plants. It missed many of the best nurseries. It did list one very good one, in fairness.

3 Likes

I managed to stump it more than ten times in 15 minutes. Depressing. I had hopes…

ETA:
I was looking for Athyrium filix-femina ‘Frizelliae’ (Tatting Fern), Laburnum (Golden Chain Tree), and a buncha tropical Asian ladyslippers.

4 Likes

No Mandragora officinarum either, aka mandrake.

2 Likes

Pretty sure Nicotiana is legal, at least where I am. I have many in my garden (they’re good at repelling pests, and the flowers are very pretty) and bought them at a greenhouse.

No problem finding datura on the website, which is infinitely more toxic and dangerous (though also much easier to find in the wild where I live; note, their flowers are also very pretty, though the seed pods look like something from a horror movie).

3 Likes

Hmm, no place sells Eriogonum tiehmii? Shame

4 Likes

Back in the day, I used to use the RHS Plant Finder book to find where I could buy obscure plants. Obviously you can search suppliers on their website now, but they surprisingly still publish the physical book as well.

5 Likes

Hats off to your profile image. Listening to an audiobook of Cosmos now. Seriously considered naming my son “Sagan” :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Where are you abouts? I have the second one and could certainly recommend a nursery if you happen to be in Oregon.

Edit to add: only the syngonium came up from my lust and the only reason I haven’t purchased one already is that I’m at my limit for houseplants. My pothos upstairs is dying because my sister in law bought me a Christmas cactus. :cry:

1 Like

Ah, I’m in Michigan, which is way colder and hotter.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.