Six members of eBay’s global security team charged with sending bloody pig mask to critic

“Defund the Ertzaintza!”

2 Likes

This happened in a town very near where I grew up, so it’s in all the local news. What struck me is that it’s like high school level harassment but with a better budget. But these mean girls and boys have titles like Sr Director, Director, Sr. Manager, etc. Crazy.

2 Likes

Ex-eBay security execs among six charged with harassing, threatening bloggers who dared criticize web tat souk

Stephanie, Stephanie and Veronica might take umbrage at that characterization, though to be fair, only one of the Stephanies was the manager of global intelligence.

(Edit - Corrected Typo)

1 Like

frat choads & sorority taints…? Of course it doesn’t really matter what we call them…in my experience bullies grow up to be bullies. That’s why I don’t go to school reunions. Too many Stephanies.

Trump will send you some. He’ll charge for it tho.

it was also frustratingly deferential to ebay. just like this headline:

you have to get pretty deep to know that this happened when they were ebay employees.

it should be more important to the story that they did this on the company’s dime then the fact they were at some point fired for their actions.

it was “ebay employees” not “ex-ebay employees” doing the action

1 Like

What are your thoughts on the untold numbers of complaints registered by PoC who are followed or questioned by mall cops, store security, building security and the like?

The point is the wanton abuse of power justified by institutional racism.

My thoughts are as follows:

1. POC have many legitimate grievances against mall cops, store security and the like.
  2. Although I admit that I had not personally previously associated the “defund the police” movement with mall cops, store security, etc. I agree that the slogan is perfectly appropriate for some of those types of over-policed, institutional racism type situations.
  3. I admit that I still don’t see how THIS PARTICULAR EXAMPLE fits cleanly into the “defund the police” narrative in that these were not mall cops harassing POC but more akin to so-called cyber security experts acting well outside their traditional roles or any legal/ethical norms. I’m glad they were caught and are being charged, but I personally don’t think that companies who handle millions of people’s financial records should look at this example and say “we should totally defund our cyber security division.” (There are many examples of companies screwing over the public by not taking cyber security seriously enough)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.