Sketch-simplifying neural network lets artists leap from pencil to ink

Technological “advances” have robbed us of all this!

It is a darn shame truth be told. Now we have to spend money educating the bastards and paying for their health and retirement if they hit old age. Neither would have happened in the good ol’ days.

Shoot. I think the entire world started going downhill since the invention of the horseless carriage.

Sif that didn’t have several downsides.

It might have been a good thing if more thought had been paid to those at the outset.

Its creation was an absolute travesty for the entire world.

Joking aside, I just bought a modern Camera Lucida called the NeoLucida I found when I was trying to remember how to spell Lucida. Apparently it was just a Kickstarter at some point that they didn’t intend to continue, but people must have bought them. It is pretty awesome and more importantly - way cheaper than the antique one.

You’ll probably find my paintings in the Guggenheim by this time next year. As soon as I learn to paint. And draw. Actually I suppose I’ll being doing it the old masters way, so they’ll probably just end up in the Louvre.

1 Like

WTF are you talking about? Zoom out a bit, and you might see it’s totally possible to call the advent of transport powered by internal combustion a travesty with a straight face. It all depends on your criteria.

And hey, maybe they include the medium-term prospects for the biosphere.

1 Like

Vectorization is one of the features that gave Adobe a clear advantage over their competition years ago; I think they introduced it in Streamline back in the late 80s. Corel Trace came out a few years later, but they never really caught up. The fact that you can train a neural network to do it even approximately as well is pretty fantastic.

1 Like

I would complain, at a minimum, that when the author says “here’s me in the style of VanGogh” that it should be “here’s me in the style of one particular painting by VanGogh”.

The article ends with:

There’s a version of chess called Advanced Chess or Centaur Chess, it’s for teams of humans and computers, competing together, each doing what they do best. They’re the best chess players, better than computers, better than humans. That’s what we should be aiming for. That’ll be interesting.

@beschizza - didn’t you post about the weird world of chess software? Such a weird world that I thought it was another of your parody (not the right word) posts until I looked up some of the principals?

1 Like

Meh, we were already burning coal like crazy back then. Humanity would never have managed to get as far as we did without fast reliable transport and I’m unconvinced we wouldn’t have done equal amount of ecological damage anyway. If tomorrow, we woke up to a world where the only vehicle involved literal horse power and sailboats, a good amount of humanity would starve within a year.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

1 Like