Skills trees for makers

Originally published at: Skills trees for makers - Boing Boing

9 Likes

I read that as “Skills for Tree Makers” and thought “good idea”.

And now im slightly disappointed in both my reading comprehension and the world in general.

16 Likes

That’s a brilliant idea!

Know your known knowns, your known unknowns and your unknown unknowns!

11 Likes

Agreed, this is awesome. And applicable to so many areas.
My mind is giddy with the possibilities…I’m curious if it’s being used in workforce development contexts.

6 Likes

Realise there are unknown knowns!

5 Likes

It might be fun to fill out one for pottery. I’d have to resist a cheeky version like
mug, bowl, better mug, better bowl, even better mug, even better bowl…

1 Like

I got very excited about these-- I love the idea of knowing what skills I should learn to enable me to reach certain goals, or what additional abilities learning a skill would gain me.

They are, unfortunately, not skill trees.

Simpler skills are located near the bottom, more advanced ones near the top, but there’s little organization beyond that and no indication of dependencies. They’re still kind of cool, just much less useful.

Does anyone have actual skill trees for makers that they recommend?

5 Likes

On the Music Skill Tree, the step after “Produce your own track” is “Make money from music.”

rolls eyes

2 Likes

Yeah, I will still share these with our Maker Space committee here at my library, but I had a few cringe moments just from randomly poking around.

e.g., the Computing Skill Tree starts with “Get a Smart phone.” On the same level there is “Get a computer,” but the layout doesn’t make it clear that either of these could be a first step and that one of these is clearly a better starting point than the other and it’s not ‘get a smart phone!’

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been looking around a bit more and noticed the different organizational strategy. But they’re still really cool. I downloaded the Cooking one and will color it in this fall as I complete things. I do love the graphical representation of these, even if they aren’t ideally suited for a course of study, for example. It’ll at least help me get out of a rut, and I like that if I don’t have an idea of what to do, I can just pick something from the page to do.
I guess it’s more like those reading challenges, like, “read a book you loved as a child,” then, “read a book by an author from a different culture than yours,” etc. The order doesn’t matter so much, it just gives you tangible goals. Makes you ‘stretch’ in a way.

5 Likes

I think you’re right in thinking of it like a reading challenge set. (My nesting partner puts out a monthly list of reading goals and the challenges are definitely not sequential!) Opening a few at random, I see some that are more bottom up fills for me, but quite a few that are scattered “goal achieved” spots without much clustering.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.