Sly surgeon tries to sell NFT of patient's X-ray from 2015 terrorist attack in Paris

Originally published at: Sly surgeon tries to sell NFT of patient's X-ray from 2015 terrorist attack in Paris | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Nancy-Christ

18 Likes

Masmejean acknowledged that the sale was “an error” and said he regretted not having sought permission from the patient. …

Translation: “please don’t pull my license!”

14 Likes

“Amateur.” -Mark Zuckerberg

7 Likes

8 Likes

Were they attempting to sell a piece of x-ray film with that image on it, or the NFT “rights” to just the image itself? Because if the former then i think a savvy BoingBoing poster should now offer up the jpeg image on this post as an NFT. Starting bid: four easy payments of $39.95! (“Got me a funny shaped turnip right 'ere, for which’n i’ll sell the image of for a mere £23.99 …and that’s cut’n me own throat, it is!”)

4 Likes

Is HIPPA HIPAA not a thing in France?

6 Likes

Not named the same (ours is HIPAA :wink: ), but I think so…

Anyway, when folks ask “what does HIPAA do?”, this is one of them. Allows for prosecution when somebody tries to sell an image of your broken arm on the internet without permission. :man_shrugging:

8 Likes

I’m going to pay 2k for an x-ray, and then… look at it once in a while?

Not exactly a Rembrant I’m not sure what he thinks you’re getting for that money

2 Likes

Yeah, I figured it would not have the same title, given the difference in language; I’m talking about the specific law itself, which prevents medical staff from releasing or sharing patient info without their explicit written permission.

I would think something like that would be universal in all modern countries.

3 Likes

I thought HIPAA just prevented a store from asking me to wear a mask. At least that’s what my local Facebook group keeps telling me. Of course they also spell it HIPPA so they may not have accurate information.

3 Likes

‘But it’s on the Blockchain now’

3 Likes

The same folks who used to scream in my face in the Radiology library when they find out you need power of attorney to check out a relative’s records unless they’re underage and you are the parent or legal guardian. Go figure. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

A few years ago when I had a stroke I tried selling tickets to see my various brain scans to prove I actually had half a brain. No takers.

I should try again as an NFT but I think I need more than half a brain to understand NFT but buying NFTs might require less than half a brain.

3 Likes

Before my promotion, part of my job used to be harassing lax hospitals, doctors’ offices and clinics to send off the proper signed authorization forms for our applicants, because the company absolutely could not proceed without them.

5 Likes

The reporting isn’t clear on whether he faces criminal prosecution, but he’s definitely in trouble for breaching patient confidentiality.

Emmanuel Masmejean faces legal action and a disciplinary charge having not asked for permission from his patient, whom he described as a young woman who had lost her boyfriend in the massacre by Islamic State gunmen at the music venue.

“This doctor, not content with breaking the duty of medical secrecy towards this patient, thought it would be a good idea to describe the private life of this young woman, making her perfectly identifiable,” said the woman’s lawyer, Elodie Abraham.

2 Likes

At least a URL that could point to a jpeg of the xray is on the blockchain now.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.