Small-molecule cocktail could reverse hearing loss

Male pattern baldness is the cure. For MORTALITY.

18 Likes

I know, right?
Can I just rub one of these mice on my bald spot?

2 Likes

Nah, he just had a scalp-lift.

:joy:

1 Like

Coachella for mice? The world is filled with crazy.

2 Likes

Gah.

I don’t get why these things can’t be dated correctly.

The top right should be dated 2379. the bottom left should be dated 2364, and the bottom center is 10,191.

7 Likes

That’d make you, me and a whole lot of people very happy. I’ve lost part of my hearing and gotten constant tinnitus during chemotherapy a while ago. That hair-loss apparently affects your hearing as well. Boy, am I glad to read this. Music hasn’t been the same since and I know I’m privileged (cancer gone, hearing-loss partial), but I find it hard to accept. Hooray for science.

4 Likes

There is something really beautiful and poetic about this idea, that little molotov cocktails - smaller than a thimble - lit and tossed by a tousle-haired anarcho-faerie princess can bring back hearing to even the grumpiest human.

SIGH What a wonderful world we live in.

4 Likes

I think it’s because the tissue has to connect at 2 points, and when you are forming that part of your body the hairs started out with both walls of the ear canal touching. When the ear canal has already formed, how would the cell know which direction to grow since it would have to expand toward the appropriate connection point and re-bond. It doesn’t seem impossible but I think it’s such a specific case that mammals never evolved that function (losing a few strands in your ear canal is hardly a death sentence so your genes still get passed on).

3 Likes

As a working musician for some 25 years from the age of 15, who still wants to record, I say “hell yeah!!!” to this science news bite.

2 Likes

Heard this story on Science Friday last week, made me hopeful. Three weeks ago I got hearing aids, they are wonderful. It brightened up my life and they supposedly re-involve parts of the brain. And they are not your father’s hearing aids. They are blu-tooth enabled, programmable and I have an app on my phone for changing things for crowded restaurants, music or wind. And, I can talk on the phone and listen to music through the earpieces. I have worked with power tools all my life and though not completely hearing impaired, glad I did it, and the stigma is bullsh!t; no different than wearing glasses.

2 Likes

Dumb question.

Could this help tenitus?

2 Likes

If you’re listening to something lasting more than four hours, please consult your physician.[quote=“singletona082, post:34, topic:96055”]
Could this help tenitus?
[/quote]

Tinnitus. It sounds like this is exactly what it will help fix. Where do I sign up?

The most common cause of tinnitus is damage and loss of the tiny sensory hair cells in the cochlea of the inner ear. This damage typically occurs as a result of the normal aging process, and from prolonged exposure to excessively loud noise. Hearing loss coincides with tinnitus. source

6 Likes

Shit man sign my ass up.

3 Likes

The thing is, the hearing aids seem to damp down tinnitus because, perhaps, I am getting a wider range of sounds and my brain isn’t overcompensating or working extra hard to hear. That’s what the audiologist suggested, but not proven.

2 Likes

Actually many parts of the body do not regenerate - even relatively simple structures such as skin and fibrous tissue will only regenerate from small wounds. Larger damage results in scarring. Complex structures that have the capacity to regenerate - that is develop new identical or near identical functional complex structures - are notable in their rarity. The liver is included in that list.

But central nerve cells, kidney, heart, lungs, muscles, retina and many other parts of the body have only very limited if any capacity to regenerate which is one reason we have so many age related illnesses.

There seems to be a general rule in evolution that with increasing complexity of structures and microorganisms the decreased capacity to regenerate body parts.

3 Likes

that is a strange use, but okay…i think most people use it in their ears! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

I can tell you that it sucks.

As for this supposed miracle cure I ain’t holding my breath

Sounds legit!

3 Likes

No that would totally destroy baldness culture. It can’t be allowed to happen.

2 Likes

4 Likes