Smart watches dumb

Oh, so a schmock is a schmuck? I thought it was some sort of lispy apron.

3 Likes

Iā€™m one of those people who hates (I canā€™t emphasize that word enough here) wearing a watch. I stopped wearing a watch several years before I got my first cell phone (1999 'cause I b Oldz), but getting that first phone ended all possibility that Iā€™d ever wear one again. For the few years before getting the phone, I had the thing below attached to my purse or a belt-loop:

I enjoy how people retcon old tech reviews to match their current expectations.

People were excited about the ecosystem as it developed, there were smartphones before, but ā€œI can get all the information I need by using multiple other products similar to thisā€ wasnā€™t a common dismissal, because the experience was poorer elsewhere.

Nurses used to pin their watches where they could be conveniently monitored.

1 Like

I may have one of those squirreled away somewhereā€¦

1 Like

Yeah, no. I had a Treo and I was pretty happy with it at first, and in fact rejected the first iPhone because I was used to interacting with the smartphone screen with a stylus and couldnā€™t imagine being able to use a smartphone with only my square, Kirbyesque fingers to do stuff like type on the onscreen keyboard. I started to change my mind around the time my Treo simply stopped being able to sync my info, in any way, and ever since I got the iPhone 3 I havenā€™t looked back, even when Palm came out with its terminally-overdue OS upgrade, despite my having been a Palm PDA owner/user for a solid decade. The iPhoneā€™s predecessors only looked bad by comparison, but they looked really bad by that comparison.

1 Like

Well, I had a Samsung Blackjack and it was mediocre at best. The all-screen design is the ideal for small devices. Maximum UI.

I remember watching someone load up Stack Overflow on an iPhone and I was like damn, game changed. We built that with absolutely ZERO provision for ā€œmobileā€ and it just worked ā€“ albeit slowly, like everything else ā€“ on the iPhone 1.

Basically, phones became real computers at that point.

3 Likes

The foremost reason for the nurseā€™s pinwatch is hygiene. Wearing anything on your hands or wrists is like a catch-all for microbes, so you wouldnā€™t wear a wristwatch if youā€™re in healthcare or if you work with food.

I usually carry my wristwatch in my pocket and only put it on my wrist when I need to keep track of time by the minute.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.