Smash the State: a 1971 Ladybird book

I’m not anything to this effect on teh Googs.
Do you have any links? Ladybird will be a tradename, so I don’t see it being changed for a foreign market.

Big girls’ dresses were short in the sixties too. Actually so were boys’ shorts.

I don’t have any references, sadly - this might very well be a case where the memory cheats, but I have very definite memories of receiving books that had EITHER one or the other of the two trade names when I was younger, and seeing both and having an “A-HA!” moment. (My mom’s family was big on Anglophilia, so we went to that shop quite a bit, and a couple of my aunts worked there in their teens.)

What’s glaringly wrong is that they have AK47s. The fave weapon of the terrorist in 70’s UK (ie IRA) was the M16 - easier to get hold of (from the US) and also easier to hide: When you break it open, the fore and rear sights are on the same piece, so you can fold it in two and hide it under a thick coat. Then when you need it, just fold it back and you needn’t worry about re-zeroing it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.