Smug neighbor's property line grudge costs him big time in fence feud

Yes she did, she asked about the tree.

Is this your hill?

Weird one…

9 Likes

Season 3 What GIF by The Lonely Island

That’s bullshit dude. There are plenty of reasons why someone might not garden… from lack of interest to lack of time. It’s not some sort of huge red flag (like a kid hurting an animal), contrary to this guy’s behavior (including condescending misogyny). He’s LITERALLY trying to steal her yard.

Because her neighbor put it on her property… not because she was asking about landscaping…

13 Likes

His yard did look better.

4 Likes

Oh, so why not give him her house, as he deserves it… /s

season 3 smh GIF by Black Sails

15 Likes

16 Likes

Hmm…I wonder what it would take to SELL him the land he thinks should be part of his yard. Probably can’t do it for zoning reasons.

3 Likes

Actually, I don’t think there’s any reason you couldn’t do that.

6 Likes

Yes, but she shouldn’t have to, of course.

Some people (not you, of course) seem to be missing that the problem here is the guy who thinks he’s entitled to the land others own…

15 Likes

I’m enjoying the schyardenfreude.

17 Likes

Just like so many other self-entitled dudes of a certain complexion, throughout human history…

:thinking:

10 Likes

spanish day GIF

Hell, one of the big arguments in favor of imperialism was that “they didn’t improve the land, so therefore, they can’t claim ownership over it”… :thinking: Where did I hear that today?

9 Likes

9 Likes

It isn’t petty to erect a fence along the boundary of your legal property.

The tree looks as if it’s on the line, and will have to be cut down, or preferably moved if that’s feasible.

6 Likes

14 Likes

Are you watching some different video? There’s nothing “large” about that lot.

Admittedly, the video only shows her and neighbor’s full lots and part of the next neighbor, plus part of the road and alley. Nothing about that screams “large” yard.

If this is a house in the middle of a dense city block, large might apply. However, the road and alley seems to suggest it is not.

This looks like a suburban housing development. One that was planned out to maximize the number of houses by building them on tiny lots, with limited space between houses and property lines, and super tiny yards. Likely designed to make walking through the neighborhood nice on those sidewalks along the main road while all the cars are hiding behind the houses using the alley.

If they had only built two thirds of the houses, splitting the missing house into yard for the other two, those would have been “larger than tiny” yards. If they had only built half the houses, turning the missing house into yard for another, those would be “large” yards.

9 Likes

Without knowing her exact desire, it’s hard to speculate about the tree. I doubt the fence is planned from touching the sidewalk to touching the alley. She might be fine having it end next to the tree. It wasn’t clear to me if she just wants a straight fence, or one that links back to the house or otherwise creates an enclosed area.

I wonder if the tree was planted by the neighbor, already encroaching on her, or if the builder planted it. If it was the builder right on the line makes a little more sense.

We once bought a new house and the neighbor put up a fence shortly before we moved in. After that, we found out the builder installed sprinkler system had a head on the wrong side of the fence. The fence was fine, we had the head moved a foot back. Same builder built both houses.

I’d explain to him where the property line was and that I planned to put my fence there and there was nothing he could do about it.

But, if he wanted to split the cost of the surveyor and the fence, I would move it over closer to where I originally wanted it.

You get to be petty and in the right both ways, but one way saves you money.

That’s the exact type of walking those sub division plans are built for. This isn’t some walkability score to get someplace useful or instead of driving everywhere. This is just walk around the neighborhood in the evening for a stroll. Along with allow kids to walk to other houses in the direct neighborhood easily. The type of development that draws young families.

The alley suggests they know the primary way to get anywhere is by car.

4 Likes

When my neighborhood was built the slight slope had been graded into terraces with an 18- to 24-inch drop. My low-side neighbor put up a fence about a foot away from the edge of the drop, well within his property. When I pointed out to him he could’ve put it closer to my property he replied, “Yeah, but the fencing contractor said it would cost more to install the fence in the middle of the drop. Besides, that’s a little less area for me to mow.” I don’t know if there was any drama after I sold the house a few years later.