Smug neighbor's property line grudge costs him big time in fence feud

Of course she doesn’t have to. But if he is more interested in the land than she is, there might be a monetary solution. But baring that, she should definitely put a fence or a hedge* on the property line. But like I said, zoning might be an issue. Often minimum lot sizes are mandated by zoning laws.

*perhaps she could pleach the hedge, to make it fence-like

2 Likes

That tree is probably going to die or be sickly anyway, look at the mulch volcano.

It’s still basically a twig anyway, not some old growth. The whole neighborhood looks like it was developed really recently.

8 Likes

If she can’t sell it to him, maybe she could let him rent that strip of land. But I’d get that deal in writing.

2 Likes

“R. Mutt”

2 Likes

Even I think this is a weird hill to die on.

1 Like

I suspect she has other things to do. No one hobby appeals to everyone.

6 Likes

That’s only true if you make a living by gardening. It would then be called “farming”.

9 Likes

Oxford Learner’s Dictionary and Merriam-Webster literally mention gardening as an example in their definitions of hobby. What language are you speaking?

8 Likes

I guess it’s part of mandatory community service for some people. For others it’s a hobby and they enjoy it.

13 Likes

Good thing we don’t have entire topics here devoted to gardening, or horticulture.

12 Likes

There are a couple home owner subs I follow, they are mostly neighbor disputes. Every time I read stories like this one I thank God we have the neighbors we have.

The property I’m on has been in my family since 1936 starting with my grandma and her sister. They were the original owners when the area was split up and sold by the government.

Our neighbor has been here since the 60s starting with his grandma. We’ve all watched each other’s kids and grand kids grow up.

We’ve know for decades that his garage/boat house has been on my property by 2 feet. The lots are only 40 foot wide so that’s significant. At the other end my driveway is on his property.

I tried redrawing the property line with his dad but he got Alzheimer’s so we never got around to it. Now his son has very bad cancer so it won’t get done now.

I’m thinking about just talking to a lawyer and granting a mutual easement until both families no longer own the property in case one of us leaves.

As long as we each own it or our children own it, no problem.

If a new neighbor comes along it could be fun.

No matter what happens I’m not looking forward to losing the best neighbor anyone could ever ask for.

I wish everyone could have neighbors like us.

18 Likes

One word: flags.

7 Likes

izzard-flags

7 Likes

As it happens, yes. I keep it in the boot of my car, just in case.

5 Likes

then you get to found a country… god bless! :laughing:

6 Likes

You keep pointing out that it is a large lot. I guess that depends on your perspective…because that’s damn tiny to me. But I live on an acre and my neighbor’s house is about 150’ from mine. We even talked about our property line one day since neither one of us had a survey done when we moved in. Some how he still mows 10’ of what I think is my yard…

In my opinion “natural” yards look like garbage. It’s an easy cop out to not actual garden or do yard work. You can have a nice naturalized yard and it’ll take three times as much work to maintain it looking nice as a basic grass yard. In NC if you let an area naturalize on its own you’ll end up with a hellscape of briers, poison ivy, pulp berry bushes, if you are lucky some wild grasses, and usually kudzu. Give it some time and eventually pine trees will pop up, assuming the kudzu doesn’t consume everything.

Depends on the state. In NC you can’t subdivide a property more than 3 times if it is under 10 acres.

6 Likes

The jurisdiction where I live if there’s no existing fence and one of the two parties decides they want one then they can just force the other property owner to pay for half. Of course asking nicely and cooperating on timing of the work and subsequent bills makes for less tense neighbour relations though.

2 Likes

The point isn’t about the landscaping… at all. It’s a distraction from the misogynistic behavior in the OP… :woman_shrugging:

And if you’re annoyed by gifs, why are you on the internet? It’s not at all surprising that when communicating on a medium where we aren’t seeing each others faces, people might use images to express themselves and it’s getting a little tedious people acting as if that’s some kind of failure intelligence or some weird shit… It’s not. It’s a stylistic choice. If YOU don’t like communicating with gifs, then god bless you, but maybe don’t assume that your choices are somehow inherently superior to those of others…

11 Likes

My comment (since flagged) was a response to the numerous comments in the chat complaining about the OP’s landscaping choices, as if that were a measure of her; that her complaints were somehow invalid/less-than because of the appearance of her lawn. My comment was a response to the misogyny rampantly being voiced by commenters, and the efforts they were making to somehow justify that she was in the wrong. My comment was not in reference to the original TikTok but to the grossness of the tech bro mindset that is sadly and actively an ongoing component of the boingboing subculture that tries to discredit women.

I was undercutting the false logic of making it about landscaping at all.

Which was an off-topic thread…

Was it?

:thinking:

maybe you should write in a more clear manner, because I didn’t get that at all… :woman_shrugging: You re-wrote your comment to reflect that, but originally, a critique of misogyny did not come through, just FYI…

4 Likes