After double lot sold to separate owners, one of them erects fence through pool and garage

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/24/after-double-lot-sold-to-separ.html

4 Likes

What, just a paltry flimsy fence? No wall? Not even a little one?

5 Likes

In a way, it’s kind of one of the most American things I’ve ever seen. The fence seems petty, but I find myself wondering about legal liability if one neighbor drowns on the wrong side of the pool, or what happens if one person’s house is robbed and it turns out the other’s friends were shady? This suddenly seems less ridiculous (please note: I said less).

8 Likes

I’ve seen this happen before. It’ll resolve itself when Lucy wants to use the bath on Ricky’s side of the property, and Ricky wants to use the kitchen over Lucy’s side.

25 Likes

I love you Florida…don’t ever change.

6 Likes

All the evidence I need that “good fences make good neighbors” is a myth.

10 Likes

I worked on a similar house in Chicago. The bank took control of a foreclosure of a single family house that used to be a rectory for a church. The house was comprised of two buildings that were connected by a ~10’ wide, 30’ long hallway that spanned both properties. The bank then sold off each building to a separate person. It was a nightmare getting anyone in the city to approve anything to separate the two properties so they just built a plywood barrier in the hall till someone finally approved for the demolition of the hallway.

13 Likes

That fence is one of America’s many Monuments to Stupidity.

10 Likes

Maybe this isn’t a “good fence”? :smiley:

@gracchus The State Motto is, “Welcome to Florida… no, really; you’re welcome to it.”

8 Likes

Norman McLaren…

2 Likes

7 Likes

See also the legal precedent set in Munster v. Munster (1966).

12 Likes

“Florida House”

2 Likes

6 Likes

thank god they moved the dog.

3 Likes

But, because it’s Florida, it all works out OK in the end. You see, there’s enough room on each side of the fence in the garage for a golf cart, the vehicle of choice for most Floridians. And the safety bars over the pool mean you’re never more than an arms length away from a secure handhold. Perfect, nez pah?

3 Likes

What if someone pees in the pool, though? And who pays to fill and clean it? What happens when a filter or pump needs maintenance? I just have so many questions that the fence doesn’t resolve.

3 Likes

Erle Stanley Gardner - Perry Mason - The Case of the Fenced In Woman

On contract? They split the costs evenly. In practice? They split the costs evenly and never use it because who the fuck swims in a pool with a goddamn fence splitting it in half?

1 Like

I’ve never understood things like this. Once whatever municipality gives a property owner permission to extend over onto another lot then why don’t they just redefine the two lots as a single larger lot?

3 Likes