Snowpocalypse 2014 in photos: Wow, much snow. Many cold

Good point, Andrew Cuomo could have prevented these things from happening if only he stayed in his office.

As a manager, I can say that it is incredibly helpful to get firsthand views of what’s going on in my business by being physically present. Hard to imagine that this wouldn’t hold for governors.

1 Like

Thanks for the snark, but please read both of my replies in full. I sincerely doubt Cuomo has any special insight into doing snow removal, performing first responder activities in extreme cold weather, or doing anything low-to-medium level officials in Buffalo can’t already handle. Also, a manager’s activities are far different from those of the supreme executive. As much as I can appreciate a first-person view of a situation, this case, in my opinion, strikes me as unwarranted and unnecessary.

Tom Wilczak up there probably should have started with the upper roof. You can imagine what happened a minute after that photo was taken…

2 Likes

Depends on the roof. Take a look at photos of locations known for regular snowfall: you’ll notice the houses have pitched or rounded roofs. That’s because snow is heavy, and ice more so. Insulation isn’t so great if it’s also breaking your roof in the process.

During the snowstorm in January 1979 in the Chicagoland area, people were being paid $18/hour cash to shovel the flat roofs of industrial buildings…at a time when the minimum wage was just over $3/hour.

Ironically, if your roof is already well insulated, the snow on your roof won’t melt from escaping heat, which means a reasonable amount of it will stay in place and work as further insulation, whereas if your roof isn’t well insulated and therefore the snow melts and then freezes in your gutters and eaves you end up with no layer of snow insulation and ice creeping into any crevice it can find in your shingles/tiles, etc.

Long story short, insulate your roof from the inside.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.