So... I read some of those books the Oak Island TV show constantly references

“Can it be possible…?” Possible-yes. Probable-no.

1 Like

It is well documented to have done nothing but bankrupt people.

5 Likes

Yeah, I mean, even the things they supposedly dug up 200 years ago that were of interest turn out to be fictional.

1 Like

The 90’ stone has to be the biggest red herring, including the totally fake 90’ stone. It is convenient that every dramatic and useful discovery has been “lost.”

5 Likes

The Templars strike again!

5 Likes

Our three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency…and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope… Our four…no… Amongst our weapons… Amongst our weaponry…are such elements as fear, surprise…

5 Likes

Is it?

4 Likes

I learned about Oak Island from an article in an edition of the People’s Almanac in the 1970s. So that tells you how legit it is.

I was fascinated about it when I was young, but having grown up I assume the whole “mystery” is coincidence, chance, hype and nonsense.

1 Like

“Discovery” channel is likewise a splendid source of utter rubbish. Their ads are marvels of building emotional mountains out of factual molehills. The promo for the bigfoot-hunting show is a textbook example. Dramatic handheld shots of some wide-eyed dude saying, “Did you hear that??!” followed by several murky images of the forest at night while in voiceover a nervous woman whispers, “I heard something!” It was just an owl farting, but after several seasons spent finding Bigfoot without actually finding Bigfoot your only recourse is to hype the hell out of nothing week after week after week.

8 Likes

Based on some of what they’ve found and scientifically dated, it does seem like it. But what do I know? I’m only going from what they show on the program. So, yes, the whole thing could all be a bunch of baloney.

Finally, we’ve done what we always threatened, after 160 programmes, we’ve found absolutely nothing.

retrospective commentary:

4 Likes

I love Time Team. I watched all of it during the pandemic as well. They dig holes and sometimes find a rock!

11 Likes

There’s a revival planned.

3 Likes

Will blog tomorrow. I’m signed up at the $18/mo level. Those guys deserve what I can give.

1 Like

Oh man, so many things in the gift shop but I just do not need more teeshirts, hoodies or mugs.

My sister watched Oak Island and I was talking to her about it and comparing it to Time Team. Oak island spends 200 years and finds a rusty lock. Time Team spends 3 days looking for a Roman villa or something, finds the villa, and also an iron age kiln, bronze age farmhouse, paleolithic hunting camp as well as a 14th century monastery in the same field. If they haven’t found anything at Oak Island yet, it isn’t there.

7 Likes

Only soon if you mean 8 years ago.

2 Likes

Well, shit. I played AC3 - twice (original and remaster) I don’t remember that at all.

To quote a team member on one episode: “One rock is a rock. Two rocks is a Norman castle.”

5 Likes

Geophys to the rescue!

2 Likes