So this is why train wheels are conical

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/06/so-this-is-why-train-wheels-ar.html

5 Likes

I prefer Feynman’s explanation.

32 Likes

Maybe it would be better to link to the original video:

17 Likes

I am reminded of the Whee-lo, the wheel of which spins on conical magnetic hubs.

9 Likes

Once you go conical, you never go back.

12 Likes

Very good explanation… I never thought before

6 Likes

We’re so screwed if we ever have to recreate the world’s knowledgebase from scratch.

13 Likes

“Cone-Wheel, what is best in life?”

“To taper from the inside to the outside, to have a rigid axle, and to hear the lamentations of the flange.”

31 Likes

Axle. It’s spelled axle.

10 Likes

14 Likes

The explanation misses one of the key aspects. The conical wheels allow/force the the set to move to the outside to so that the outside wheel becomes effectively larger in diameter, thus allowing it to take the longer path without skidding, while spinning at the same rpm. Added benefit is that it naturally banks the train carriage to the inside a little (although high-speed curves are banked as well).

17 Likes

I first learned this reading John Muir’s elegant explanation of the bug’s differential.

5 Likes

They have the props. They have the story. But the combination of the music, and the minimalist captions that disappear before the action makes this video more confusing than it needs to be. I had to watch the video several times before I figured out what was going on.

3 Likes

Lovely. His joy is infectious in describing how clever this mechanism is.

7 Likes

You can build your own demonstration model with two styrofoam cups.

1 Like

Admittedly, I already knew the answer. But I found the minimalist presentation to be an asset. Seeing it work is better than hearing it described how it should work. (Apologies to Feynman, who could make a story about putting coins in a parking meter into something fascinating.)

3 Likes

Am I really the first to post this?:

11 Likes

Indeed, the initial video is missing any kind of explanation at all. A viewer is left to intuit the answer, but I bet the vast majority of viewers who didn’t know how this worked to begin with probably watched this, said “ah ha!”, and left with no better understanding.

Feynman’s explanation at top is how I originally learned it.

1 Like

TLDR-No differentials.

1 Like

This post seems to be bleeding over into my universe where the train wheels are cylindrical with a flange.

3 Likes