Watch this mesmerizing spiral of small model trains

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/13/watch-this-mesmerizing-spiral.html

10 Likes

I wish I could have shown this to my father, who loved all sorts of trains, both full-size and models. He would have loved this.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

12 Likes

There must be at least one more spiral like it outside of the video frame. Either that, or the room is really big, or they are adding and removing train cars really quickly.

2 Likes

dark-city-spiral1

2 Likes

I guess spreading the locomotives throughout the train help to prevent derailments on those tight curves.
The second one reminds me of proposals to use long trains on mountains for energy storage.

4 Likes

I was hoping the front car would meet up with the last car as it entered the spiral and the cycle would continue endlessly.

14 Likes

I was hoping the same thing!

5 Likes

Hobo wet dream… or nightmare?

PS: This looks like one of those annoying 100+ freight car babies that freeze traffic here in the Valley. Oh, look. That one’s for horsies!

3 Likes

Just add some height to it, and you’re nearly at a real bit of track:

Okay, now I have to post thisL

12 Likes

If I had more time to procrastinate I would have slowed that down and watched it again. Maybe repeatedly.

The artist JR did something similar:

2 Likes

Polaroid%20SX-70__Neat!

3 Likes

must…buy…trains,
must…buy…trains,
must…buy…trains…

5 Likes

3 Likes

Eight engines. One less than the number of spirals.

2 Likes

I want to know what the rest of the track looks like.

1 Like

“hobo wet dream”… somehow that makes me feel quite sad. perhaps a dark, sleazy corner of the big rock candy mountain.

4 Likes

Did not fill track. Was disappoint.

4 Likes

If the spiral had a flying junction, the train could be even longer than the spiral.

4 Likes

I posit that that is exactly what this is! Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

And if the camera was surrounded by a loop of track it could then be endless…

3 Likes