Taking a trip on a private train of restored vintage cars

Originally published at: Taking a trip on a private train of restored vintage cars | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Lovely rolling-stock. :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

If anyone in the UK fancies a slow trip in vintage rolling stock for much the same sort of money, may I suggest buying a walk-up fare on GWR?

4 Likes

Video link for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSkysFOkupI

3 Likes

Love Downie’s videos; chill Vancouver dude filling his eyes with wonder. Yeah, he’s a marketing guy, but he seems genuine

1 Like

I’ve taken two rides on the Coastal Starlight, once a short run between Davis, CA and Berkeley and once between Seattle and Portland. Such a wonderful ride, especially the NW route. They have dome cars as well and even on the short trip it was well worth it. When you’re booking, always look at the alternate routes as these named specialty routes run along the same commuter corridors, so you can book the same trip, but in beautiful cars.

4 Likes

I plan on taking the Snow Train from Fairfield to Sparks NVvery soon

2 Likes

Add the Rocky Mountaineer to your to-do list. VIA Rail shut down the line a few years ago, so a private company bought it, remodelled the cars, and runs it as a really beautiful tourist trip now.

Runs through the spiral tunnels at Kicking Horse Pass, which is something everyone should experience once in their life, if you have any love of insane engineering.

3 Likes

Wow, that is awesome! Reading about it reminded me of the difficulty of traversing the US Rockies via the Trans-Continental. I didn’t ever think about the incredible amount of energy required to push such mass up a hill that’s basically hundreds of miles long until I read Locomotive by Brian Floca to the Littlest Pea. It instantly became one of my favorite picture books because he does such a great job of conveying the complexities of getting to the continental divide and then basically racing downhill to California. You can feel the anticipation of the passengers, the worry of the engineers and the constant peril of a steam engine climbing for days on end. Better not run out of water!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.