Sochi's black-market Starbucks, courtesy of NBC

OT but, any links to coffee forums/sites that have great info without the attitude?

Great. Now we’re hating on McD too. Listen… Starbucks is the single best coffee I can buy in a grocery store or Wal-Mart. McD’s “McCafe” coffee was the first fast-food drive-through coffee that I ever thought was worth drinking. Are they the best coffee in the word? No. But they deserve a lot of credit for delivering MUCH better coffee to the masses, and also to me, when I don’t feel like going waaay out of my way to get a cuppa.

6 Likes

I pulled it from this article, but the same thing has appeared on a million other “Most ____Tweets From Sochi” pages. You can find the original among the #SochiProblems posts at Twitter.

The whole thing was viral enough over the past few weeks that I figured that BoingBoing readers would get the reference.

1 Like

worst coffee I’ve ever had - burnt posing as flavor

I may not like Starbucks’ coffee, but I rarely have received nasty service if I have to go to one (need caffeine at the time) and they do treat their employees well…

4 Likes

So would anyone care to comment on their love for, or loathing of, K-Cups and their ilk? I’ve never tried them and would like to hear what the consensus is among coffee lovers.

Crappy, expensive, bad for the environment but if nothing else, easy. And still better than Nescafé.

3 Likes

You’re never gonna believe this… It’s “McFlurry” (макфлури)

2 Likes

On corporate and other non-coffee issues, including this weirdness, Starbucks veers between mildly and awfully awful. Who even knows what this Olympics nonsense is about, although in a flat-out shittiness campaign, I’d bet on NBC or the IOC before Starbucks. Still, it’s anybody’s race.

But you know what? If there’s one thing in the universe I’m qualified to be a snob about, it’s coffee, and Starbucks coffee–the actual fluid itself–isn’t shitty. It’s not the best out there by any stretch of the imagination, but it’s more than good enough to drink if you intend to drink coffee. (Credentials: eight years in grad school in Madison, WI, home to more artisanal coffee roasters than you can shake an artisanal coffee roasting device at. Also three Starbucks, IIRC.)

Of course, that’s just, like, my opinion, man, and there will be other people who don’t share it. Not a problem. I hate eggplant, and not for any objectively defensible reason. But taken as a whole, anti-Starbucks coffee commentary (again, the fluid itself) has a sort of, how shall I put this, audiophile tone to it, combined with a dash of classism and more than just a little drive-by judgmentalism. It’s not good, it’s just familiar and comfortable. Oh, the HORROR of the familiar. The disgusting COMPLACENCY of it, when a bleary-eyed video engineer editing his 93rd luge run of the day could be out sampling exotic brews made from the rare Siberian ice-coffee plant.

11 Likes

For me, the bewildering thing about this whole deal is that they went to all this trouble to import what is ultimately pretty shitty coffee.

[SNOBBERY INTENSIFIES]

As punishment for the privileged elitist wankery, I condemn you to six-hour old McDonalds coffee.

(tbh, our local McDonalds have Gaviña and tends to be brewed fresh, so it’s okay)

1 Like

Sorry to disappoint you. Sloppy is as sloppy does.

I’m not a coffee snob by any means. I’m probably the least snobby. I mean, heck, I just made a pot of coffee with a drip coffee maker and tap water using store-brand beans. To make it less foul, I put a dash of salt in the filter and to make it more interesting I put a couple of peppercorns in it and ground it all up in a whirling-blade grinder. Because I’m groggy, I’ll be drinking this all afternoon. If all I had was a big can of Folgers, that’d probably be okay, too.

Having said that…part of the reason I’m not a coffee snob is because about the only non-truckstop coffee we have in my area is Starbucks, where the help expects you to know what you’re ordering, and a few privately-owned coffee shops that are even snobbier. Thank you, but no; if I have to know what I’m ordering before I’ve ever experienced it, cram it.

[ANTI-SNOBBERY SNOBBERY INTENSIFIES]

Oooooh! Get you with your home-ground artisal sea salt peppercorn coffee.

11 Likes

Sorry…next time it’ll be a 20-year-old can of Beaumont Coffee, brewed weak enough to look like tea.

1 Like

Indeed. If it was just about coffee, any good coffee competently prepared would do. This is about a very specific flavor of candy, at least that’s what most of their drinks seem like to me. And, far be it from me to stand between someone and their candy :slight_smile:

I don’t know if “homesick” is the right word but it’s weird how it works. I’m not a huge ketchup fan, don’t use it too often on my fries. But when I ended up in Berlin in the middle of a 10 week trip away from the states, I went to a hard rock cafe that sold fries and used imported heinz ketchup… couldn’t get enough of it. I’d get an order of fries and damn near emptied the bottle by the time I was done.

It’s not that I don’t like german food, the eating was excellent over there. I just really wanted something american.

1 Like

They didn’t go to all this trouble to import coffee. They went to all this trouble to advertise Starbucks. Duh…

3 Likes

But at least the Quarter Pounder with Cheese is “РОЯЛ ЧИЗБУРГЕР” , which as Vince from “Pulp Fiction” could guess, is “Royal Cheeseburger”

2 Likes

Starbucks is for people that want to drink coffee but don’t really like the taste of coffee.

Now show us how to say señor mcflurry. Сэнйор мкфлурри?

1 Like