Sochi's black-market Starbucks, courtesy of NBC

I could be wrong on this, but I think most of the ketchup Heinz makes for overseas markets is made in Leamington, Ontario. They use liquid sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup so if it tasted closer to what you remember having when you were younger, that’s probably where it came from.

I only drink coffee made from the liquefied anal gland secretions of an endangered species of Yeti who eats nothing but the finest coffee beans.

7 Likes

Does anyone else remember when going to Starbucks was considered being a coffee snob?

7 Likes

It all sounds pretty typical to me. Don’t they have those Jr. Starbucks in most major hotels in the US, where discerning business travelers spend most of their lives?

About the McDonald’s comments, why the hell doesn’t NBC have one of those in thier hotel too? I bet McD’s is pissed after hearing Starbucks is in and they are not.

1 Like

Snooty about a tea? I suppose you obsess about how to best manipulate the teabag string while the bag’s immersed in the warm water. ugh.

1 Like

I think the editorial cartoonist for the onion still makes a big deal about it

1 Like

I was out of beans this morning, and grabbed some emergency coffee from my freezer which turned out to be Starbucks. I made the pot and drank the first few sips, but it was so awful I threw it all away and went out and bought new beans. I don’t know if that makes me a coffee snob or just that my taste buds are functioning normally.

1 Like

Just think of the coffee and all the rest as the price to keep all those free bathrooms open in cities like New York where open and relatively clean bathrooms are not terrible things in any way. And given what we’ve learned about restrooms in Sochi, perhaps this down-low Starbucks is performing a similar function. The coffee’s a lie.

3 Likes

Maybe in the rest of the UK, but in ‘arse end of nowhere’ Carlisle it was a big step down from Watt’s coffee. I haven’t lived there in ten years and I still haven’t got used to the idea that most towns and city centres do not have the smell of roasting coffee beans.

Could we stop the histrionics? Sochi has a gay club FFS. There is a very transparent trend by US media AND US citizens to exaggerate the situation in Russia during the Olympic Games and to blow up little faults like a broken curtain rod to epic proportions. From the outside it looks like the US revived those old Cold War propaganda reflexes again.

The human rights situation in Russia is shitty but so is the situation in the US. Guess who “disappears” people into guantanamo-style torture-gulags (see what I did there?) around the globe because they have the wrong sort of religion or a common arabic name like “el Masri”? As a USian (assuming you’re one) you should get off your high horse regarding human rights issues.

And please get your facts straight (pun intended), being gay is not outlawed in Russia - “gay propaganda” is. Don’t know what “gay propaganda” is? Just ask US lawmakers in Texas, Arizona or Alabama because they have similar laws.

TL;DR: Not made in the US = has to be shit. Not having the most Gold medals, let’s make fun of Russia instead

3 Likes

Wellington New Zealand: The coffee-mad city (ok small city) that had all of about three Starbucks downtown … and then two of them closed. The city that pushed Starbucks backwards. I think one Starbucks per city is reasonable … the remaining store has nice places to sit and talk and probably the ambience helps it survive.

Note that both Melbourne (Australia) and Wellington have one interesting thing in common … an wave of Italian migration a long time ago. I think that they brought with them a taste for good strong coffee. But a lot of cities have old Italian families, so what else is different?

6 Likes

No such thing. Coffee is admittedly quite subjective when it comes to what people prefer and what people think of as high quality. Go explore at a local shop that also roasts beans

1 Like

Um… tea bags are to tea what pre-packaged servings of instant coffee are to coffee. Let me know when you are qualified to have an opinion here. :wink:

7 Likes

Chicory

Look for the can in the plain brown can.

And funnily enough, the only people I meet that say these exact words are American. I don’t know what that means, and i really don’t want to take a guess.

Hipsters still exist? How mainstream.

2 Likes

btw, Starbucks does have regular macchiato; it’s just not on the menu. http://www.starbucks.com/menu/drinks/espresso/espresso-macchiato

No. But I do remember going to Bumbershoot (an annual arts and music festival in Seattle) in the late 80’s and seeing an act at the “Starbucks Pavilion,” and wondering to myself how a coffee bar could afford to put its name on a building at the Seattle Center.

Yeah, I know. I asked for it once.

I got a short latte.

I’m still waiting to find the coffee that is both a) so superior to Starbucks that I’ll never go back to Big Mermaid again, and b) affordable to drink on a daily basis (I go through a pot a day, minimum). People repeatedly talk about how shitty and “burnt” Starbucks is. You know what was shitty and burnt? Diner coffee, the way it used to be made.

5 Likes