Sochi's black-market Starbucks, courtesy of NBC

Hey, Cory, sorry to be that guy who points out spelling and grammar mistakes, but I think you meant to say “$tarbuck$”.

1 Like

It’s a hipster thing…we’re not cool enough to understand. Just enjoying something without putting everything else down is so 80’s.

Big difference…the US laws are about classrooms. Stupid and backwards and damaging, but you can talk all you want about being gay and how cool it is if you’re not a teacher in a classroom.
The Russian law applies to everyone in the public sphere, and it’s frighteningly vague about what actually constitutes propaganda. And the Russian govt is not shy about publicly threatening gay people.

Melbourne in particular was a great beneficiary of Italian migration in the 1950’s. They bought their crazy steam-powered coffee machines and, after a few decades of racist insults, we loved them for it.

Starbucks hasn’t done that well here - the competition was pretty fierce before they arrived and their business model of introducing half-decent coffee to people who hadn’t had half-decent coffee didn’t work.

3 Likes

Come election time here it’s still used as short hand for snob: “My opponent prefers Starbucks, I prefer <insert omnipresent cheap national chain>.”

Funny thing is, I’ve got a choice of 4 different choices around my work: Starbucks, Tim Hortons, McDonalds, and a local place with 3 (or is it 4 now?) outlets in the city.

The most burnt and difficult to drink of the bunch is the local one that roasts their own beans. (It’s also unsurprisingly the most expensive of the bunch. I honestly don’t get how they survive.)

Edit: Actually, I lie. Tim Hortons is the most difficult to drink. Less burnt tasting, but definitely worse

1 Like

This old hippie chick is certainly no hipster, but I have loathed Starbucks since the first time I tasted it over 25 years ago.

The irony is that I was drinking Peet’s coffee from the original Berkeley location before Starbucks bought their first beans there.

2 Likes

Wow, someone has thin skin, as my very mildly snarky comment has been removed. Let’s try again: I pointed out that you complained people couldn’t buy the chips (fries) they usually did in parts of London during the Olympics because of McDonalds sponsoring - in that case, the sponsors getting to decide whose fries you ate and didn’t eat was a bad thing. But somehow here, in your opinion, NBC finding a loophole to avoid the forced sponsorshit coffee at their Sochi location is also a bad thing, because… Starbucks. I would have thought NBC wanting their choice of coffee at Sochi should be analogous to the London citizen wanting their own free choice of chips.

I hate the overreach of large corporations too. But complaining that they are not respecting sponsorship deals, and not following the rules of the most corrupt institution in the history world - that is some weak tea right there.

3 Likes

I think coffee snobs look down on Starbucks much as beer snobs do on Sam Adams. It’s not that they really think it is the worst product out there (as you mention, old fashioned diner coffee certainly was worse, and Bud and Miller worse beers), but they are frustrated that so many people are satisfied with a mass-market choice that’s just somewhat better than the commodity mass market choice.

3 Likes

There was a sequence on this BBC series about drink and drinking

where they take a famously awful mass-market perry (Babycham) and dress it up as craft pear cider, and it is lapped up by the attendees of a real ale festival.

They are all suitably embarrassed when they find out what it is they were drinking.

There is a video of it, but it seems to be blocked by EMI for some reason.

2 Likes

No, no, no. It would be Comrade McFlurry!
Товарищ мкфлурри

The worst coffee? You’ve ever had? In your entire life.

You might want to get out more.

Is it hipster to hate McDonalds too? Because I see very little difference.

Downtown Toronto? Balzac’s being the ‘local place’?

Sir, there is no correlation between getting out, and encountering bad coffee. If you think there is, then perhaps you need to take more care about where you order a cup.

That’s the one!

True, true. Outside is teeming with terrible drinks of all stripes. My house only has nice drinks in it (well, and tap-water, but I react to that in a similar fashion to Captain Haddock).

it IS a marketing op, and this post of yours shows that it’s working

9th st Espresso or Everyman (both in Manhattan) are the closest equivalents to quality Aus or NZ coffee I have found in NYC.

In my day, we had to walk uphill 6 miles in the snow, both ways, for coffee

1 Like