Social security for all — for now

That’s what makes it social. You can have some too. :slightly_smiling_face:

Right?!? Came here to say exactly this. No effing way he could do it. Sounds like a great reality show, though. Set them up with a reasonable 2 bedroom, basic minimal wardrobe and pantry staples (you know, just to give them an edge, since they’re so new to this), then inform them of rent and utility costs or take that off the top and see how long they last on whatever remains of that $17 per day. I bet they’d be half starved by day 5.

7 Likes

Most OECD countries have woken up to the fact that it’s “pay now or pay a lot more later” in this situation. But not the land of bootstraps and temporarily embarrassed millionaires, where the focus is still on denying health insurance to the “undeserving”.

9 Likes

An accepted challenge from Mnuchin to try it for only 3 days would show everyone how clueless he is about what it costs to survive on a daily basis.

3 Likes

My rent alone is $50/day. If I got the cheapest place I could in this town, and had a roommate, it would still be $20/day, so $17/day wouldn’t even cover that, much less anything else.

6 Likes

I’m kind of surprised his wife hasn’t chimed in on this yet. We can usually count on her to make one comment that’s worthy of Marie Antoinette or Lucille Bluth on these matters.

9 Likes

If this is interesting to you then you may enjoy this podcast of Mike Moore interviewing James K. Galbraith, the economist.

His observations are pretty brutal - all of the people now out of work will soon have no health insurance exacerbating the crisis - people avoiding treatment because of cost, working because of need and spreading it further, etc, etc. Those same people will lose housing, mortgages will be foreclosed, other loans will go unpaid and cause more defaults, all of this followed by opportunistic buying by the wealthy class and corporations naturally seeking to profit from the situation. I believe we all realize this, as we’ve been through it before, but this time the magnitude of numbers involved is much greater. Galbraith believes we must cancel most forms of personal debt, and start the economy over with rules that ensure it moves forward in a much fairer way. Does that sound familiar?

If trump wins as I fear none of this will happen, and he does not give a shit about anybody witness his indifference to the chaos and suffering he is causing right now. Under trump the nations working and middle-class will be reduced to ruin. The Democrats steadfast support of Biden will yield much the same results as he sticks to his promise to not pass Medicare for All, and continues to spread the obvious untruth that we can not afford it and questioning how we would pay for it (as we head towards our second 2 trillion dollar infusion that has no planned financial plan for paying for it). As Biden now becomes vulnerable to being cast as a rapist along with his other vulnerabilities it seems we won’t likely have this problem - trump will defeat him.

If just leaves me wondering why the hell americans will not put Sanders in charge - he is the only one that from the start has advocated policies that would deal with this without crossing supporters or some idealogical line. Come on people.

5 Likes

The huge volume of foreclosures alone will bankrupt the lenders; I think the realization of this will force some big changes to how debt from this pandemic is perceived. If there’s a huge supply of homes on the market and nobody qualified to buy them, the banks lose bigly. They want to shovel money around, not act as realty corporations. The fallout from this pandemic will have implications the Capitalists can’t even imagine in their nightmares right now.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.