Steve Mnuchin says people can live on $1,200 for 10 weeks

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/16/steve-mnuchin-says-people-can.html

4 Likes

It’s worse than that. What he said is that the initial stimulus can get America by for 10 weeks. As in the boost given to corporations and rich people. He literally is not counting the $1,200 in his assessment, because he really couldn’t give a crap if ordinary people starve.

46 Likes

30 Likes

This right here is a reason to vote for Biden cause he won’t appoint shitweasels like Stevie boy here.

29 Likes

11th-doc-this|nullxnull

34 Likes

It is inevitable–the same people who argue that reducing the wealth of billionaires by a few percent is the greatest moral crime imaginable are also the people who argue that it’s perfectly feasible to live the American dream on a few grand a year.

35 Likes

“What?! Jesus, what’s wrong with these people if they can’t last a couple months on $1.2 million? …Wait, twelve hundred dollars? Not twelve hundred K? Oh, well, that’s different. Why did we even bother? Well, anyway, tell them this is the rainy day they’ve been saving those krugerrands and T-bills for. Of course they have those! We’re the richest country in the world, how could they not?”

22 Likes

It will highly depend on where people live, but my $1200 is already spent. It was pretty much gone the second i got it, i’m moving in 2 weeks and pretty much all of my money went towards that. I mean i certainly appreciate that is $1200 that is not directly coming out of my own pocket (i mean it is because taxes but you get my point), but i know that every one of my friends already have spent all of their money as well on bills.

26 Likes

Don’t bet the farm on the rotting husk of Class-Traitor Joe appointing decent cabinet officials. https://www.axios.com/joe-biden-cabinet-vice-president-picks-b17882ac-3953-450f-8afb-38a3c8dcda57.html

That article is all speculation, of course. But if the cabinet has even one billionaire bastard on it, you can hit the shitweasel alarm.

5 Likes

Thus why writing a substantial (i.e. >$1200) check to every man, woman, and child every month during the pandemic would have done a hell of a job in propping up the economy. People would be paying their rent and bills on time, money would be moving around, and people with disposable income would be ordering new washers and dryers, scheduling landscaping projects, buying their kids new bikes, doing all the shit that would keep money actually moving around in the economy instead of just propping up banks.

Thus, why it wasn’t done.

16 Likes

Not exactly, Mark: https://www.forbes.com/sites/eriksherman/2020/04/14/mnuchin-17-dollars-relief-program/#3948e77d16ef

(Ed. note: I loath Mnuchin with a passion surpassed only by my level of loathing for Trump)

5 Likes

I think it’s worse, that he really believes $1200 will stretch for 10 weeks. he doesn’t understand how expensive being poor is.

24 Likes

What i’m commenting on is directly the statement that $1200 will last 10 weeks, which is flatly untrue. If used for rent it will only last the average person a single month and for some it won’t even cover that month’s rent.

11 Likes

18 Likes

giphy

39 Likes

No, I understand and agree with that–I was just commenting that your example demonstrates why writing bigger & more checks to everybody in this situation would have been a smart thing to do. Because it gets spent.

10 Likes

They look real proud with their sheet of singles :roll_eyes:

11 Likes

I dislike the administration, but that’s not what he said. He said that the entire package should support people for ten weeks.

Inaccurate exaggerations only provide ammo for supporters of the admin. What they actually are doing and saying is bad enough.

1 Like

The very first comment covered that.

4 Likes

Much as look forward to seeing Mnuchin trampled under foot by a mob with pitch forks and torches (I’ll probably get in trouble for posting that), I think it is important to get his statement correct and question his argument as a whole, and not fly off the handle due to a miss understanding of what he said.

2 Likes